April 30, 2024, 02:17:08 AM

News:

front end

Started by 79FLH, June 06, 2011, 10:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

79FLH

So, I'm ridin into work this mornin, 52 degrees, kinda foggy,  scooter is runnin like a champ, My commute is 44 miles each way.  I'm about 900 miles into my break-in,  & I start hearing this "ting-ting" noise. A few miles down the road, I find it, it's the cap from the nut on my front end.  It's the nut in the center of the tree, that goes down thru the frame.  So, when I get to my gas station, I give her a quick once over, & the nut is loose, it's been walkin out.   
   So, here I am at work, been trying to find an on-line manual all day, with no luck.  I need to know how tight that nut should be.  Do I just tighten it up till it starts to bind up, & then back it off ?? Or should it be torqued ??  I just need to get her home, & I can get to my shop manual.  Any ideas ??    Thanks,   Dave W.
Ride it like ya stole it !!

moosemush

I'm not near my books either but I don't believe there is a torque figure. You have to get the front end off the ground, loosen the lower clamp pinch bolts and snug it up until there is a specific amount of tension on the bearings checked by how much you can turn the forks before they "fall away". This will be particular to your model. If the lower pinch bolts are still tight, I would just tighten it down snugly for the ride home where you can fix it correctly.

79FLH

My mistake, it was a bolt, not a nut..  A little blue loctite, snugged her up, She'll get me home.. 

easyricer

On the modern bikes I tighten them to 40 ftlbs. Since you have a cap on there, I'm going to guess you are running a superglide front end? The FL style trees had a lock ring under the nut that you folded up to lock that big nut down. On the superglides there is a pinch bolt through the tree under that nut to lock it down.
Either way, even with out the locking deals, tighten her up, really tight, then back it off and snug it down. Some locktite will keep it there. If you get more than 1 turn out of it when you tighten it down, loosen the fork leg pinch bolts so that your trees will stay straight with the tubes. Then tighten everything back down when you are done.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

79FLH

Thanks guys,  yep, it's a superglide front end with the pinchbolt & cap..  As always, thanks for the input..   Keep on ridin !!