April 27, 2024, 03:15:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Need an explanation please.

Started by Panzer, June 06, 2011, 08:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

This past weekend my son and I installed LED lights above the engine on his 06’V-Rod.
When we took off the air box I noticed a “Power Commander” mounted to the top on the battery case.
I should have taken a pix if the box but forgot.
The Power Commander has three buttons (they were not touched) at the bottom “idle”, “mid”, & “high”.
The numbers on the commander is…..809-510……..050104
I know very little about Power Commanders, other then to get peak HP and fuel feed. :nix:
Can someone please explain what we have and how it works to some degree?
TIA

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

cig

Sounds like you have a power commander 111. Just a tuning device. Bike probably has after market or modded pipes and free flowing air filter. Not much differant than a SE race tunner except it does not change the map in the ecm. It just over-rides the map that is in the factory ecm. A race tun er actually changes the ecm.
cig 
Alton, Illinois

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Tbones

Quote from: Panzer on June 06, 2011, 08:02:14 PM
This past weekend my son and I installed LED lights above the engine on his 06’V-Rod.
When we took off the air box I noticed a “Power Commander” mounted to the top on the battery case.
I should have taken a pix if the box but forgot.
The Power Commander has three buttons (they were not touched) at the bottom “idle”, “mid”, & “high”.
The numbers on the commander is…..809-510……..050104
I know very little about Power Commanders, other then to get peak HP and fuel feed. :nix:
Can someone please explain what we have and how it works to some degree?
TIA

You have the older verson PC III usb tuner...  You can load maps into it then with the three buttons you can fine tune your low, mid and high range fuel circuits...  The problem with this tuner, you just about have to take the bike in and run it on a dyno to get it tuned correctly...  The newer PC Auto tune is a much better tuner...  I run the T-Max on mine and have had good success with it...  The Daytona Twin Tec is another good auto tune tuner, I run it on my bagger with the Pro-charger blower...  With minor mods like going topless with a high flow aircleaner and aftermarket performance exhaust, the PCIII will work but it's just to limited on what you can do with it to tune your bike in...  PM me if you have any questions or concerns and I'll help you out the best I can...  Take care...  T
=IF IT DON'T DO 150 IT AIN'T WORTH HAVING=

Hal64hd

You don't "fine tune" a PCIII with the buttons.

Tbones

Quote from: Hal64hd on June 23, 2011, 01:32:58 PM
You don't "fine tune" a PCIII with the buttons.
Really, what do you do with them then?  You load the base map into the unit and you adjust the AFR with these buttons...  Up is a richer setting, down is a leaner setting...  If that's not fine tuning the base map then I don't know what is...

Hal64hd

The 3 buttons are to use the unit like a cheap fueler. The first button is adjust the Entire fuel range from 0-3000 rpms, second button is 3000-6000 rpm and the 3rd button is 6000-9000 rpm regardless of throttle position. THAT'S NOT FINE TUNING.  You download the powercommander control center and adjust the map by RPM's vs TPS (fuel and timing) and adjust each cylinder. THAT"S HOW YOU FINE TUNE a PC III. DUH

Tbones

Quote from: Hal64hd on June 24, 2011, 11:15:03 AM
The 3 buttons are to use the unit like a cheap fueler. The first button is adjust the Entire fuel range from 0-3000 rpms, second button is 3000-6000 rpm and the 3rd button is 6000-9000 rpm regardless of throttle position. THAT'S NOT FINE TUNING.  You download the powercommander control center and adjust the map by RPM's vs TPS (fuel and timing) and adjust each cylinder. THAT"S HOW YOU FINE TUNE a PC III. DUH
Dude I'm not gunna argue with you...  Yes, you adjust the numeric values in the map but the three buttons "fine" tune that map after you have assigned values to the different cells, even the frigg'en instructions say the same thing...  The author of this thread wanted to know what he had and what I replied is absolutely correct...  I've got three of these worthless tuners sitting right here in my shop and all the instructions say the same thing...  But, no matter, your right, I'm wrong...  Your ignorant when it comes to tuners and I'm glad your not tuning my motor...  DUH...

Hal64hd

How do you figure changing 99 cells is "Fine tuning" Using the buttons, is like fine tuning with a brick.

The buttons are if you don't have access to a computer. Right from the page

If you do not have a computer, you can change the fuel curve with the faceplate buttons. This is a simple adjustment that can move the fuel curve richer or leaner in each area of the map. (Please refer to the paper installation guide or adjustment video on the CD-ROM).

This is from the Manual and no where does it state the buttons used for "Fine tuning"

U. S.I N. G. T.H .E . P .C I.I I .U .S B. B. U. T.T .O N. S. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
You can quickly adjust your fuel settings beyond what is stored in your fuel map
through using the buttons on the faceplate of your PCIII USB. Each button controls a
range of rpm values. The button ranges are determined by taking the rpm range for
your vehicle and dividing it into thirds. The buttons adjust fuel for all throttle
positions within the specified rpm range.
low buttonâ€"from 0 to the bottom third of the rpm range.
mid buttonâ€"the middle third of the rpm range.
high buttonâ€"the upper third of the rpm range.
USING BUTTON MODE TO INCREASE OR DECREASE FUEL
To use button mode:
1 Depress all three buttons (low, mid, and high) on the PCIII USB front panel
simultaneously while powering up.
The middle two LEDs will light showing that the PCIII USB is set to button mode
with zero fuel adjustment.
2 Press the low button once to add more fuel when your vehicle is operating in the
low range.
The LED above the zero position in the positive (+ fuel) direction will light
showing more fuel is being added.
3 Press the button again to add additional fuel in that range.
4 Hold the button (low, mid, or high) down steadily to decrease the amount of fuel.
You will see the LEDs light in the negative (- fuel) direction indicating that fuel is
decreased.
5 Repeat the steps for each button.
Power Commander III USB Control Center User Guide
CHAPTER 2
Using the PCIII USB Buttons
2-28
6 Wait until the bottom LED lights to indicate that the changes are complete.
Figure 2-25: Use Your PCIII USB Buttons For Easy Fuel Control
SETTING THE BUTTON RANGES
To display the ranges for the buttons, press one of the buttons on the PCIII USB while
it is connected to the computer. The range for that button shows highlighted on the
screen.
middle two LEDs
light in button mode
indicating zero fuel
adjustment
press a button once
and let up to
advance fuel one
increment
hold down a button
with steady pressure
to decrease fuel.
press all three
buttons at once to
enter button mode

Tbones

Like I said, your real good at cutt'en and past'en instructions but you don't have a clue as to how tuners work.  But, you keep on keeping on Hal, beating a deadhorse over noth'en is just that, nuth'en.

Hal64hd

And you know everything about nothing.
I worked for a dynojet tuning center. for 3 years. How about you?

Tbones

Quote from: Hal64hd on June 26, 2011, 08:45:55 AM
And you know everything about nothing.
I worked for a dynojet tuning center. for 3 years. How about you?
How many times do I have to say your right and I'm wrong?  Are you an adult?  You're the man Hal, way more experience than I have...  I can only hope one day to be as good as you...