April 27, 2024, 08:24:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Frustration with 2007 XB12STT

Started by 02rk59, June 07, 2011, 06:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02rk59

I'm sure this has been discussed before, so I apologize in advance.  Background - 2007 XB12SST, 1,000 miles.  Bought it new last August.  Jardine RT1 pipe, EBR racing ecm, K&N filter and TPS reset using ECM Spy about 5 or 6 times.  Repalced plugs two weeks ago.  Problem - Starts missing and stumbling between 3k and 4k rpm at steady throttle. Always after warming up completely and fan switching on.  Can get through it by rolling on throttle.  Longer I ride though, the worse it gets and starts stumbling above 4k rpm.  Usually will clear out by rolling on throttle but sometimes runs out of juice around 5500 but not always.  Battery is original and my thinking is that is probably the culprit but I'm wondering if it just overly rich.

panhead_dan

I would start with the more obvious probable cause, the battery. It can be load tested for free. Grounding points need to be cleaned as well, also for free. If the problem persists, contact EBR about the possability of a better download for your ecm. There have been reports of a few EBR ecm's that were not as they should be the first time out.

88b

I bought my 08 Uly new in Nov 09 within two weeks the battery died and I had problems with earth ( ground ) because the battey earths to the alminium sub frame which then bolts to the main aluminium frame. There is then a cable around the rear rubber mount. I cleaned up all connections and had the shop supply a new battery, so far so good. I've also heard of problems with ECU's, to be honest as much as I love riding my Buell, it's a cluster **ck design with a lot of problems built into it. I worked in R&D for Ford for over 25 years and every time I work on the bike it surprises me just how badly designed it is, BUT it's fun to ride.

garyajaz

HUH?  bad design??  me and erik will be by your place with base ball bats.   :angry:..lol
other than having to "rotate" motor to do anything i have a trouble free 03
(which i havent had to do yet) everything seems to be designed to
"OWN THE CORNERS"

yeah, this and other post are old.  i just running around here updating and trying to get some life in here.
i know badweatherbikes are THE buell site.  i go there often.
still we can talk to each other....lol..

only problem with mine is the uglyness.  but somehow that disappears when i riding it.
it wasn t made to be pretty  (like a real harley)
or fast (like a japan bike)
but it turns, dont scrape and i outrun faster bikes on the twisties.

ok, i did scrape a curb feeler on foot peg.  broke it off even.
surprised me.  i sat on bike in shop and with help leaned it over till it touched ground.
holy crap. i was leaned over that far?
it just is not scarry to ride.  am thinking its limits are higher than my riding abilities.
my other bikes i can ride past what they can do.
working on buying a tuber roller.  in the hunt for  a evo sporty engine.
never can have too many buells

02RK  did you get it sorted?

02rk59

Sorry for the late reply.....I really need to check the site more.  LOL.  Not completely sorted out yet.....I'm about 100% sure it's the fan.  I only have the problem when the fan kicks on...otherwise no problem.  Planning on tracing wires to the fan in the next couple of weeks to see if something is shorting out.  Should be good riding weather in another 3 or 4 weeks here in northern Kentucky....I hope anyway!!