April 27, 2024, 08:18:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Adding rocker box breathers

Started by baldoldfxr, June 12, 2011, 09:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldoldfxr

June 12, 2011, 09:29:33 AM Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:11:07 PM by baldoldfxr
I know some of this has been covered before - But I may fit some breather fittings to my top end (its an 1986 bottom end breather motor) run them to one way valves & was wondering about Teeing them into the engine/ primary to tank breather like shovel engines
Any thoughts on this ? I have no idea how much oil- if any would come from the top end & would like to avoid a full catch tank puking over the bike on a long journey,  :nix:

smittyon66

If you change the rocker boxes over to latter style, no problem. The umbrella valves are one way valves, you really don't need any more.
Unless you have a lot of blowby, you shouldn't loose any more oil than anyone else with a later motor.
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

baldoldfxr

Thanks Smitty- I Cant change the rocker boxes on mine ( got different heads only one type of box) , & what I was hoping to achieve was to use the engine breather system to help pull some oil mist out of the top end in the same way the shovel primary chaincase oil level is controlled

gryphon

You can do a modified version of S&S's latest breather system. Tap into the two rocker boxes at the highest point possible to avoid picking up oil. Then install a nipple in each box, Tee the hoses together and run a hose with a small check valve to the back of your air cleaner backing plate.