April 27, 2024, 04:16:38 PM

News:

Shocks for a Heritage softail

Started by hawwk, November 03, 2008, 07:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawwk

I have a 99 Heritage that still has the stock shocks on it that are getting really soft, it bottoms out on quite a few bumps. Was wondering what shocks  everybody is running on their's or what ones you recomenned. It has a lowering kit in it which I am ging to remove because it scrapes the floorboards on quite a few turns.Also thinking of changeing the springs in the front tubes also
Cambridge Ontario 
OFOPOS

eagles350

I went with Progressive in both the frt & rear. Standard height. Works much better than stock.

Caper

Quote from: hawwk on November 03, 2008, 07:33:03 PM
I have a 99 Heritage that still has the stock shocks on it that are getting really soft, it bottoms out on quite a few bumps. Was wondering what shocks  everybody is running on their's or what ones you recomenned. It has a lowering kit in it which I am ging to remove because it scrapes the floorboards on quite a few turns.Also thinking of changeing the springs in the front tubes also

Scraping floorboards, bottoming out...that's a lowered softail. I've got Progressive 1"lower on mine (rear only) and same results, not a lot of travel in a softail to start with. A set of stock height Progressive's front and rear and you'll notice the difference.

stroker800

Just some quick advise,,,stay away from the ebay $89.00 specials, they look similar to a shock workz design. I had bought a set while I was tryin to get my Founales rebuilt,,,,the shocks are junk,,,no dampening like a pogo stick effect,,throw you off the seat. Spend your money on good shocks,,I have heard that Workz will customize the shock to your bike ,weight and riding style.
Dave

tinkerman

You have a newer softail than my 88. I wanted to put progressives on my bike but nobody could gaurantee the application. I went with a pair of Works shocks and I am very pleased with them. I don't know how they compare to the progressives but compared to the originals I took off (which had done their time) the Works have given the rear end of my ride new life.
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

Grayrider

On my 97' Heritage, there is an adjustment nut on the front of the shock body. Turns in and out to adjust the ride. You can make it harder or softer by adjustment. I adjust when I travel with a rider and baggage to firm up the shocks so they don't bottom! Soften it when I ride mostly alone.
Not sure if the 99' has that but I expect they may if it is stock!
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!