April 27, 2024, 09:29:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Crank case beather question?

Started by barhopper, January 05, 2009, 04:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barhopper

I just got my 57 Pan going Saturday. This is my first Pan, so I'm excited as hell but still pretty green to them. My Pan has stock cases, stock compresstion, STD heads, CV carb, mallory ingtion, S&S oil pump, and I have plummed in a late model oil filter mount and am running a EVO oil filter. The issue I'm having is what seems like an excessive amount of oil blowing into the primary from the crank case breather. I have heard some people frown on these S&S oil pumps. I was woundering is the oil pump the problem, or is this filter not letting enough oil through, causing it to overload the engine with oil? Other than this the bike runs great.

MBSKEAM

turn the oiler down, turn of if ya have a belt drive
S&S has pdf's of there oil pump instrutions

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

CraigArizona85248

As mbskeam said, adjust the oil to the primary from the screw on the oil pump.  Did you have the cam cover off the motor?  Did the breather gear get taken out and maybe not put back in the correct position?  The Evo filter is probably not your problem but I just use the shovelhead spin-on filters.  They have the same dimensions as your Evo filter and should work.  Did you make sure you have oil returning to the oil tank?

-Craig

barhopper

My oil pump only has a supply and return line. It does'nt have a separate line for the primary. I thought the primary got what oil it needed from the crank case breather. I do see an adjustment screw on the side of the oil pump. What should my oil pressure be? I have not had the cam cover off, but was thinking I might should remove it to check the timing of the breather gear.

MBSKEAM

chain or belt drive?
turn screw all the way in if ya have a belt and 1/2 turn out for a chain ride then look at chain for oil. adjust in or out as needed
a dime spot of oil on the ground after you have ridden 25 miles or so and park it over night seams about right.

mbskeam

CraigArizona85248

The screw on the side of the pump adjusts the oil flow to the primary.  You can't shut it off entirely because you'll always have a little oil mist in the breather air.  But closing the screw down should shut off most of it.  NOTE:  DO NOT crank down hard on the screw.  It will damage the seat inside the pump body.  Just loosen the lock nut and gently seat the screw.  See if that takes care of getting too much oil.  If you are running a primary chain, you'll need to have the adjustment screw open slightly, but not much (I've heard guys say 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn).

-Craig

MBSKEAM

(I've heard guys say 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn).

my oem pump was about 1/4 turn

mbskeam

barhopper

I am running a chain primary. I just went and checked the adjustment screw. It was 3/4 of a round out, so I have set it at 1/4 round out. I will ride it tommrow and see how it looks. Thanks for all the help.