April 26, 2024, 10:45:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Blueridge parkway

Started by rayfeldt, January 05, 2009, 05:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayfeldt

I know a bunch of people have ridden this.  How long did it take including Skyline drive?  Did you run the whole thing?  Any tips?  I am thinking of riding it next May,will the weather be warm?  Any thing else I need to know?
Thanks,
Ray

Panzer

I went there on my honeymoon a long time ago.
The only thing I can tell you is it's in the mountains and May will be kinda cool.
Dress where you can shed some garments easily.
With leathers and gloves you should be in for a beauty of a ride.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Showdog75

harleyjt

I wouldn't plan to ride it in May....  You're at elevation and its still cold.  First time we rode it end to end was Memorial Day weekend - end of May.  Froze our tails off.  Drizzling rain and mid to high 40s.  Miserable.  We weren't at all prepared for that weather.  Had no idea it would be still be that cold end of May.  Since then, we've always ridden it in June.  Thats worked well, but still can get chilly.  Probably the best ride in the country.  We love it.  Skyline Drive has a lower speed limit - 35 or 40 iirc and the Blue Ridge speed limit is only 45 or 50 iirc. Great rides.  There are some state parks on the Blue Ridge with nice lodging.  Be sure and visit Mabry Mill - nice little restaurant there.  Lots of stops along the way to explore.   Unless you're really trying to fly, figure on averaging no more than 50 mph on the Parkway - probably more like 40 or so on Skyline.  Also, watch out for wildlife.  We've seen lots of deer - closest I've ever come to hitting one - and even bear, also lots of smaller varmits too.  I'm hoping to be able to ride it again this year - its been a year or two since we've ridden it.  By the way - I understand there's no gas on the Parkway anymore - you have to exit and go into town for fuel now.   Too bad - it was really nice when they had fuel stations at the parks. 
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

wifesdriver

Rode it last July. It took us 3 days to ride it one way. There was a detour on the parkway due to the road giving way that took us off course and cost us an hour or two. (We had the girls with us, so lots of stops) The BRP is 460 miles plus about another 100 for the Skyline Drive and you really can't travel much more than the 45 mph speed limit on most of it if you are two up and try to enjoy the scenery, its fairly twisty.(And did I mention that the girls do like a lot of stops!) Skyline Drive speed limit is 35mph and we encountered two radar traps in the 1st 30 or 40 miles.
Same as harleyjt, I came very close on more than one occasion to hitting deer in the Virginia end of it. He is right, there is no gas directly on the parkway that I remember seeing, but it's not a problem as long as you are aware, most of the time you can come off the parkway to gas within 5 miles or so.  (One of our group did run out, but he only has about a 135 mile range, because we thought we could make it to the next stop. He was about 1/2 mile short of the gas station when we came off the parkway in Roanoke)
It was very comfortable in July to ride. Jackets in the morning, T shirts in the afternoon. Don't think we ever broke a sweat. I rode the lower part of it in late September one year, weather was still good, but had to leather up when we got up in elevation. We stayed in motels in towns off the parkway, Boone, NC was one of the towns, but when I go again, I'll stay in one of the state parks on the parkway to save a little time. We did stay at Little Switzerland Inn on the parkway, it was a good place. It's definitely a good ride. Enjoy it.

Rags722

My advise would be to decide why you are taking the BRP before asking how long to ride it.  Yes, you can do it in 3 or 4 days, but I would suggest you print out the following info and take it with you ( http://ncnatural.com/Parkway/MilebyMile.html ) .  Keep in mind this is a little out of date because the gas stations have all been closed if my memory is correct, but there are a ton of side trips and things to see along the parkway.  If you want to ride it at speed, fine.... but if you want to experience the parkway and the views, figure on taking a little more time.  Personally, I tend to skip the Skyline drive.  That can be done in a few hours, and after 3 ~ 5 days on the BRP for free, I can't see the point in paying for the toll for the Skyline.  Just my little form of protest, but I just run 340 from Front Royal to Waynesboro.  That takes you right through the heart of the  Shenandoah Valley and gives you the chance to see Luray Caverns on the way down.  Then from Waynesboro you can pick up the BRP at milepost 0 headed south.

RK101

Ray if you do take this trip stop and ride to the top of Grandfather mountain. If memory serves me right it's about 80 miles south of the Va. N/C border. You won't regret it. I went down the SLD from Front Royal early in the morning and the toll shack was not open yet so we just went right on threw it without paying anything. Not sure we were supposed to do that or not but that's what we did and knowone ever questioned us. Dress warm those mountains can still be cold that time of year. Watch out for the wild animals as they have there share of them in those parts. It's not uncommon to see a bear in the middle of the road or a snake crossing it. Sometimes the fog will roll up the side of the mountains and it's on you before you know it. I've ridden it twice and had a blast both times. If your going to ride the whole thing you might as well ride the dragon as long as your down that way. EZglider will probably chime in here shortly, he lives right off the Parkway and can fill you in on what's going on down there before you go.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

marc

We have done the trip a few times and I would say 3 days minimum from Front Royal, VA to Cherokee, NC...Beautiful trip...

Scramjet

We did Skyline Dive this year and BRP last year.  Saw a bear and had a close call with some deer on Skyline.  There is one gas stop on Skyline about half way.  No gas stop on the BRP as I recall.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

EZGlider

http://www.motorcycleadventuremap.com/Rdcd.html

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org

http://www.stationsinn.com

The above three links should give you more info.  In general, May will be pretty chilly in the early mornings.  The mountains are about ten or so degrees cooler than the foothills in the daytime. Judging travel time is deceptive because the speed limit is usually 45 and is enforced by several Federal and local agencies, depending on where you are at the time.

Be aware they have recently stopped motorcyclists for a "safety check" and NC requires a DOT helmet AND a valid carry permit from NC or a reciprocity state.

Also be aware that cagers cross the center lines gawking so blind corners merit caution.  Motor homes also can be a PITA, going thirty mph and stopping in curves to gawk.

All the above notwithstanding, it is a beautiful, worthwhile ride.  The link below gives recent news about the area I am in and you just have to scroll down to see the accidents and incidents in recent history.  Note the "safety check" article.

http://www.nationalparksgallery.com/parks/Blue-Ridge-Parkway

Email me when you are close to going and I'll give you my number and be glad to help anyway I can.  I have a garage with good facilities, a trailer for emergency rescues (LOL) and a well stocked refrigerator.

EZ :beer:

RevJim708

Like the others have said, The Blue Ridge is a beautiful ride. I have done it many times over the past 20 or so years. I was on it last year and there is a detour. But I find that the side roads are just as nice if not better in spots. Front Royal to Cherokee took us 3 1/4 days. There are a lot of must sees. I have only rode it in the summer July and August. Be careful of the animals and the scenery. They both can be intoxicating. If you don't get enough of it going down, take it coming home. It's just as nice seeing, in reverse, what you missed going down.
Have a safe ride.
Rev Jim............ 

EZGlider

Ray, high forties is possible but usually by mid May it can be a bit higher (like low 50s, lol).  It quickly gets up into the seventies though and it is the time I love best.

Should have mentioned, Sparta, NC is just off the exit 20miles south of the Va/NC border, seven miles west of the Parkway and is a good little town for breakfast or just to see the way folks used to live when "hospitality" meant something.

If you need anything in this area, contact me.  I live about ten miles East of Sparta, about three East of the parkway and should be back from Florida by then.

EZ :up:

Princess Butt

I've been on the BRP, in various stretches dozens of times over the past 20 years. Skyline Drive, I've lost count. It's a great day trip from Northern Virginia.

In may, EZGlider is right; expect temps in the 50's at night, and 70's during the day. It can stay cloudy or foggy up there for half the day.

On Skyline Drive, the most popular place for speed enforcement is just south of Big Meadows. The traffic clears, there's a nice, straight, downhill stretch and they get you right there.

If you're tired of the drive, you can always jump off and make time on US Highways. There's some great small towns off BRP and SLD.

The last time I did the whole thing was in 2005. We had a blast, it was just after Hurricane Katrina blew thru the Smokies. We had no problems on BRP. Gas was pricey, though.

Good Luck!

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

HarleyCharley

If you're in to camping there is a nice biker's camp ground, Rider's Roost, not far off the BRP. They offer small cabins and primitive camping. Uncle Roy Yelverton is the proprietor and can be pretty entertaining. You can find them here http://www.ridersroost.com/. Check em out, great riding near for day trips.

randallwhitman

For my money, the best month on the Parkway is September.  Traffic goes way down and it hasn't gotten cold yet.  Be sure to ride to the top of Mount Mitchell......highest mountain east of the Mississippi.  One day on the BRP with the wife sitting behind me, a female deer jumped over our heads!  Go slow and enjoy the scenery......the rangers enjoy using their radar.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX