April 27, 2024, 08:55:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

150 tire on 02 883

Started by jambo, January 05, 2009, 08:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jambo

I am wondering if you can put a 150 tire on a 02 883. Its my wifes bike and I have a 150 will it fit? THANKS :smilep:

calif phil

mayor

nope, not without a swing arm kit.  A 140 will fit with a chain conversion...
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

hogpipes1

I have A 140 DUNLOP on my 01 xl pain in the ass fit . relocatied  turn sig bolts were rubbing , ground them down (HEADS)  made then rounder . button head  torke bolts would be better ,also grd some of the ridge off the tire. shocks are up high .it's ok but next tire will be a 130-

jambo

I posted this question on general and got a link to this web site that says it can be done?  :smilep: http://www.geocities.com/when_pigs_fly_mc/880.html.htm

mayor

Good link, and well written.  One thing was evident in that writeup, you need to pay particular attention to what brad tire you use.  The imported Metzler is notoriously undersized, which probably makes it close to the size of a 140/80 from another manufacturer.  What's the manufacturer of the tire that you have on hand?

mayor

here's a good read from one of our members mounting a 150 on a bagger (that originally had a 130 on it):
http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=2998.msg34466;topicseen#msg34466
....see reply #29 about variances in actual tire sizes. 

camel

I used a 140 Metzeler with chain drive, and I had to relocate my wires from under the fender to outside of the fender. I also had to file the turn signal bolts down a bit. Since I had 11" shocks when I hit a bump it scraped the top inside of the fender.

LilEvilAmy

January 14, 2009, 02:30:00 PM #8 Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:06:58 PM by LilEvilAmy
I have a 150 Dunlop K591 on the rear of my '95 sporty, but it wasn't a bolt-on deal.  I have a chain final drive, so belt clearance wasn't a problem, but the inner lip of my bobbed rear fender needed to be ground down.  I originally had a flat rear sprocket with the 130 tire and had to change to a dished for the 150, then had to flip the trans sprocket to keep the alignment straight.   I have struts in place of the shocks, so bottoming out isn't an issue for me, but I can see where it would be a problem with shocks, especially short ones.  One thing that I did notice is that my bike doesn't corner as well as it did with the 130, as the wider tire doesn't lean as easily.  I would not recommend going with the wider tire for anyone who rides their bike a lot on the street or on twisties.  I only live 3 miles from my shop and don't get to ride to too many other places, so it isn't a big deal for me - and the stickier K591 does hook up fairly well at the drag strip.  :wink:
~ Li'l Amy & her "Evil Twin" Snortster ~ Detroit, MI ~  ~

jambo

I have a dunlop 150, dont remember the series no. I think I will just stay with the 130 unless I dont have anything else to do which is pretty unlikely. Thanks for all the replies this is still a great site!!!!!! :teeth:

rat097

This can be done with a avon 150 , if you know someone that is a fitter you machine your rear pulley down , buy a carbon gt rear belt which is only 20mm instead of 29mm , use round cap heads for guards , have a 1/8 spacer made up for your rear pulley to space the pulley out . The main problem running a 150 is you need the clearence between the belt and the tyre. Look at the newer big twins and most of them run 20mm wide belts .
Cheers Rick.