May 09, 2024, 09:19:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Coil Question

Started by LexKing, June 16, 2011, 07:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LexKing

My son has a 2002 XL1200C Sportster and recently it sounded like it was running out of gas, so he switched to reserve and still had the problem. He then pulled into a station and put 2 gallons of 93 octane in. Started the engine and still had the problem. Rode about a mile and it still sounds like it is running on one cylinder, pops, sputters etc., but only when you twist the throttle. The engine starts and idles fine, but will not run well. We have replaced the spark plugs and plug wires with new HD OEM parts.  Do you think that the coil is weak and causing the problem?
Regards; Lex (1998 DYNA WideGlide; 2003 RoadKing Classic; 2005 Heritage Softail)

LexKing

You all will be pleased to hear that I got the Sportster fixed last night, I hope. We installed the new coil and it seems to run fine. We did a test ride between rain storms and it runs well.

One thing that we did observe: If you put your hand anywhere near the new SE coil, with it's 40k volt output, you will get shocked. I guess high energy is a good thing in coils!

Thanks to All, for your help and suggestions!

Regards;

Lex
Regards; Lex (1998 DYNA WideGlide; 2003 RoadKing Classic; 2005 Heritage Softail)

No Problem

i have single fire electronic  ing  with  high out put coil  relocateto left side of eng leg hits it all the time and no shock i think something is still wrong   jmo.

hdbikedoc

definattly should not get shocked ,plug wires are leaking, replace wire's
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

LexKing

I should have added this earlier, but since no one posted when I asked the question I didn't consider it was relevant.  I should have said that you get the shock if you touch the electrodes, not the plastic encased coils. The plug wires are brand new. At any rate the new coil works great and has a bright blue spark. The old one had a orange spark.