May 09, 2024, 06:32:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

06 Sportster dies when hot

Started by mc9395, June 17, 2011, 07:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc9395

I'm dealing with a 06 Xl that runs great until about 3-4 miles when it heats up and as you pull to a stop it just dies. The bike will crank back up and go until the idle drops for a stop and dies again. This is not a problem when the bike is cold. After a while of idling when it heats up it will sometimes sound like it is missfiring like its out of time dies and if hot enough will try to run backwards for a second or two. Does this sound like a module problem? I thought it to be carb problem at first so cleaned the carb twice. Even thought it was the petcock because the bike would run even with the vacuum line unpluged. Help

andyxlh

Hello mate
yes indeed it sounds like a module and nose cone sensor problem to me. Have not heard of it on the newer bikes but the earlier evos do that occasionally - heat related with the electrics and the vibrations in the nose cone. Sounds like you have eliminated the carby and it would be more likely to be an issue when it was cold in that case. Have a think about the inlet manifold too, not sure of the design of the newer ones but an air leak which becomes worse as the bike heats up might do that too, but unlikely.
cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

mc9395

Thanks Andy it turned out to be a crank position sensor. Thanks Black