May 04, 2024, 02:49:53 AM

News:

95 RK, cam , heads, and pipes ????

Started by sandrooney, January 06, 2009, 04:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

I am thinking of doing some head work, cam , and pipes on my 95 RK. Heads would be done by Nallin Racing (NRHS) their package includes, CNC porting, flow tested, stainless 7mm valves, black diamond coating, behive springs, brass guides, 1.900 intake, 1.630 exhaust. Also thinking of Andrews EV 27 cam, D&D fatcat 2 into 1 pipes.  All stock gaskets. SE adj. pushrods and SE lifters ,and upgrade cam bearing. Stock carb has 170 main, 45 slow, and 1 turn on mixture screw.One big question, the bike is very smooth now, will doing these upgrades cause vibration or will it even make it smoother. Smoothness is more important to me than the extra power, but I really would like to wake her up a bit.. Also is the stock ign. OK or should I change it also.Thanks for your help,SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

lionsm13

Sounds like a good combo... However, bear in mind that if you have vibration now, with increased ponies I believe that you will have increased vibration, or rather it will amplify what ever is already there. Just part of the nature of the beast I'm afraid...
At least that's what I've been told and has pretty much proven that point.
It may not be as noticeable with your RK though since it's rubber mounted though right?
I ride a softail and they get a lot worse with increased HP, as they are a solid mount.

sandrooney

Thanks, I wonder how much just pipes and a cam would wake it up? When I put pipes, ac, and a tuner on my 07 Ultra and had it tuned, it had more power and ran smoother than stock. Maybe from the rubbermount.
Thanks again,
SR

rdkng

Vibration should not be a problem.  Head work is nice, but a lot of 'bang for the buck' is
EV27 with .060 shaved off the heads along with decent pipes and carb tune.

That was a 'standard' package before W6 and VT3010's and 20's were around and
should put you around 73hp and 77 torque as a friend of mine did that on his '98 king.
rdkng 

Happy Motoring, Road King George

92Fatty

If you are getting heads done at NRHS I would ask them for a cam recommendation. How much compression are you going to get out of the package? I just would want to verify your compression ratio and match it to the cam so you do not have a pinging issue due to detonation. It never hurts to ask the builder too many questions. jmho Kent

sandrooney

EV27 is what they recommend. Thanks for the help.
SR

60pan

I agree with rdkng. That's basicly my setup along with an HSR42, high flow air filter, and a sportster ignition on a 92 FLHS. Yes ignition should be changed. There are several good ones that are all close. I used the Sportster ignition to keep the rev limiter. If you got the dough to have the heads tricked out go for it but I would do these other things first.

No noticeable effect on "smoothness" except maybe a little a idle, but I like to keep my idle low so I get the thump da thump. I'ts really a pretty mild mod, probobly close to how it would come from the factory if they didn't have EPA restrictions.

sandrooney

Thanks ,Is the sportster ign. single fire? I think I will skip the head work.
Thanks,
SR

60pan

No, the Sporster ignition is dual fire, just a little different advance curve. I think it was almost exactly the same as Screamin Eagle except for the rev limiter.

92Fatty

60pan what year sportster ignition are you referring to? Or a part number. Thanks.

60pan

Well I did the work in 93 or 94 so that narrows it down to before then. I'm thinkin that all the Evo Sportys, at least up until then, were the same. I could try to get the part# if you really want it.

92Fatty

That is alright just curious. I figure the key would be the 7 pin connector on the module. The newer ones have 9 pin plugs. Thanks.

MiketheBike

These are all good sugestions and I've applied all of them to my old FXR with good results.  Just one word of warning. Early sportster modules for police bikes had the rev limmiter set at 6,000rpm NOT 5200rpm.  Keep this in mind if you are looking at used units. Also be a little careful with picking an ignition system for your bike. Lighter bikes Sportsters, FXR's Dyna's have a much more agressive advance curve which may not be suitable for a heavier bike like the RK. Check with your builder that the module you intend to get, together with the vacuum switch you already have won;t give you too much advance too early for your bike.  lastly, after seeing many of my friends fit single fire ignition and then disappointedly report there was no real increase in power, most of them did think that the engine ran smoother.

sandrooney

Here's what I am doing. EV 27, B lifters, Torrington bearing, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1, SE ignition, and some carb stuff. I just want to wake er up some.
Thanks for the help,
SR 

lionsm13

January 09, 2009, 03:47:43 AM #14 Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:50:52 AM by lionsm13
Should be able to get 70 ponies or so, probably not much more.
If you do some mild head work, mill and port and polish, it might give you another 10-12 ponies but that's about it.
That's about where I'm at too. It gets expensive after that.
Take a look at Bigboys cycle cam comparator. http://www.bigboyzcycles.com/EVOcams.htm
Pretty interesting.
Here's another one on cam selection from NHRS. http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_camshafts.shtml

sandrooney

Good stuff. I am hoping for more low end torque also.
Thanks,
SR