May 08, 2024, 02:11:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rear Sprocket Bolts

Started by Piper, January 06, 2009, 09:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piper

Has anyone experienced there rear sprocket bolts coming loose after installing a aftermarket chrome rear sprocket cover? Locktite 271 was used and the bolts were torqued to 65ft lbs.Also the bolts were new.............. :angry:

Panzer

Have you tried lock washers with the bolts?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

HIPPO

Yes.
While one might get lucky, if the bike has enough power the solution is not to use the cover.

Cliff?

Piper

That explains it then,54H cams and a retune w/aPCIII picked up about 20HP and 17Ft lbs of tq.....................So that silly little cover is letting the bolts come loose `cause they won`t torque properly?

HIPPO

IMO the washers under the bolt heads are a little conical, when torqued they sort of dig into the pulley material. With the cover they dig into the cover, but the cover can slip on the pulley. Once it starts to move it's just a question of time.

Piper

Thanks Hippo....................That answers my question.        Now I have to deal w/the customer!

Phu Cat

Piper, A buddy at work had his (factory, I think) chrome pulley come loose. Tore up is bike pretty bad.  Wound up having to buy another wheel and pulley.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Ultrashovel

January 06, 2009, 01:36:08 PM #7 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 03:53:37 PM by Ultrashovel
If you have the room, you might consider doing what I did on my Shovelhead. I remioved the bolts and changed to studs with chrome cap nuts. While it doesn't have the HP of a later bike, the sprocket doesn't come loose, either.

I don't think the design is very good where they are requiring 65 ft. lbs of torque on a steel fastener that is going into aluminum. The torque should ordinarily be lower anyway and unfortunately, the power put on those bolts by the engine is quite a lot.

The chrome pulley just makes it worse.

Ed: Sir Garfield posted a Bulletin that shows HD has now increased the torque into the aluminum hib to 80 ft. lbs. Good luck on that. Now they'll be stripping them out in the service bay instead of on the road. LOL.

Clintster

My co-worker had the bolts shear, it ruined the wheel and pulley.  He was on vacation in Canada, lucked out, nobody got hurt.  His wife was on the back and they were very near a HD dealer.  Throw it away, use it for an ornament, not worth it for a little bling...
Drive fast, take chances

tireater

Stay away from chrome bolts...Sheared them off getting off the freeway and locked up rear wheel...Wheel and pulley were junk.
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

randallwhitman

A buddy had a nice stock fatboy and decided to bling it up.  Just had to have a chrome wheel pulley.  The idiot that installed it for him neither used any lock washers nor a drop of locktite.  The stupid bolts were probably chrome.  On the way to Sturgis from central Colorado, all the bolts sheared off.  After a three hundred dollar flatbed ride, the Laramie, WY, dealer was able to fix him up the next morning.  He was lucky....the wheel mounting surface wasn't too crapped up.  And, yes, the new bolts went in with lock washers and red locktite.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

HV

Also HD has increased the TQ specs on all rear sprocket Bolts
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Crotch_Rockets_Suck

You could also drill small holes in the heads of the bolts and safety-wire them to keep them from turning.  Also looks pretty cool too.
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?

FSG

Quote from: HV® on January 06, 2009, 08:14:57 PM
Also HD has increased the TQ specs on all rear sprocket Bolts

HarleyTechTalk > Documents & FAQ's > Instruction Sheets that have been found > HD > Service Bulletins

M-1216, 2008 SERVICE LITERATURE UPDATE