May 04, 2024, 06:55:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

engine replacement

Started by snapon8, January 06, 2009, 10:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapon8

I have a 1992 FLHTC - 220,000 miles - 90% of our riding is two up and loaded down. I just smoked my second engine on Saturday. I am looking at options on replacement. I am not into horsepower - what I want is longevity. I am running a six speed - the engine will never see 4,000 rpm. I like to run regular gas and get good economy. Anyone has any ideas on the best way to go?

hrdtail78

You can get a replacement engine from Harley for about $3,000.  Comes with charging and carb I believe.  Might also look into Harey's reman program.  This might be the way to go since it doesn't seem you are looking for more power.
Semper Fi

TheSwede

Hi kchris97,,I wonder what type of oil
do you use.

Best Regards
TheSwede

Rugby_fxdwg

How about a S&S 100cubic inch motor. 4"stroke by 4" bore, a square motor should last longer.... :potstir:
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

stroker800

If happy with stock evo ,,,a few dealerships inIL were seller for $2600.00 + taxes,,,or try the Ultima stuff,,80" up to 140" .
Dave

catmcaw

At one time several dealers had new stock Evo motors on ebay for around $2700 but I just came from there and saw none at this time. Those factory are hard to beat.
  Jireh was having a motor sale (Ultima) 80-127 all the same price $3499.

BigE1340

Rev Tech Gen3 100" 4x4 puts out 100 crank horsepower and a 3 year warranty.Can pick them up for under 4k on ebay.Very good bang for the buck.Redesigned heads and and pistons make for a very solid power plant.Have had one in my bagger for 3 year and still running strong.This motor is a square motor ( 4" bore and stroke ) make for low vibration and good longevity. :duel:

bikerider58

A good thing about the MoCo remanufactured engine program (they give you a new engine), is that you keep your numbers. As the OEM they can stamp the new cases with you number.  At least that is what I got back for the 86.

snapon8

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I will be buying a Harley engine from a dealership.
As far as the oil I use - I use Amsoil and Lucas oil stabilizer. The engine shows virtually no wear after 100,000 miles.
The engine that blew - the wrist pin snap ring broke causing the engine to blow.

Hillside Motorcycle

What are you going to do with the blown engine?
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

darrelbarrows

I have a buddie that works at a dealer here in michigan and they were doing motor exchanges through harley for 2300 installed and it came with a warrenty

choseneasy

Which dealer is that in Michigan?

darrelbarrows

great lakes harley davidson

choseneasy