May 02, 2024, 08:10:13 AM

News:

Star Hub - 2002 Rims

Started by PanHeadRed, January 06, 2009, 10:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanHeadRed

January 06, 2009, 10:25:10 AM Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 10:31:00 AM by PanHeadRed
The wheel assembly came from a 2002 RK I was going to try to re-use the rim and spokes.

The spokes have a -40C part #

The rim has a -97 part #

Any reason the two won't lace up to a Star Hub and work on a stock 59 FLH front and/or rear?

My guess is the -97 indicates the small hole.

TIA -PHR

CraigArizona85248

PHR,

Sometime in the mid 70's H-D changed the lacing pattern for 16" wheels.  This was a change to the rim.  For an early rim and starhub you would lace the spokes on the inside edge of each flange so that they went in opposite directions.  With later rims you will need to lace the spokes on the inside edge of each flange so that they go in the same direction.  The holes in the hub are offset for the old lacing pattern, but they will also work with the new lacing pattern.  It just means that some of your spokes will need to use a bit more/less of the threads on the spoke to be tensioned evenly.  Make sure you use the later lacing pattern to go with your later rim.

-Craig

Snuff™

You'll need to use a newer style inner tube with metal valve stem vs the rubber ones.

-Snuff
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: Snuff on January 06, 2009, 05:03:36 PM
You'll need to use a newer style inner tube with metal valve stem vs the rubber ones.

-Snuff

Good point.  Or drill out the hole.  But that would break the chrome and promote rust.  I'd probably just go with the newer style tubes.

-Craig

Pzokes

It can be done, but I don't like the way that the spokes look coming out of the rim.  Most people won't notice it.

There's miles to go before I sleep.

PanHeadRed

Thanks, can any one recommend a good quality replacement rim, and where to get it? Any used ones out there available?

Snuff™

January 07, 2009, 09:03:11 AM #6 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 02:38:46 PM by Snuff
PanHeadRed,

I'll have to research what i purchased for my '60 pan.  My local HD dealer (Dennis, parts mgr @ F&S HD-Dayton, OH) he recommended a true Harley rim mfg. in Italy.  He had heard of difficulties truing the Taiwan stuff.  I purchased the Harley rim, fabricated a truing stand and had no problems lacing and truing mine.  I just need to run the narrow metal valve stems.  The stamping inside the rim is 43086-81.

-Snuff
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

PanHeadRed

it took me a little while staring at this picture to figure it out, but you guys are correct, it will work but is laced slightly different

CCW, CW, CW, CCW from right to left on the Star and  CCW, CW, CCW, CW for the 2002.

Thanks.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Pynzo

There's a company in Texas called Hallcraft that made an exceptionally good replacement rim, but it used the later lacing pattern and side metal valve tubes. I use my hydraglide front end as my truing stand- you can perfectly center the rim on the bike as opposed to setting the offset with a ruler and straightedge.

MBSKEAM

if the offset is okay you can use your axle  to hold the rim in a vise, every thing is just the same only at 90deg from the straight up method

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt