Changing oil with an oil cooler mounted down low. Any tricks?

Started by PkgMan, January 06, 2009, 02:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PkgMan

My '07 FLHTP oil filter is in a very tight spot, with the oil cooler mounted in front and the sensor to the rear of the filter.

What are you using to remove your oil filters if you have a similiar set up?  I am anal about changing oil but this setup makes it a pain in the ass

Regards

Bob

IBARider

i pull the crank sensor.  it's fast and easy.  I've done it every 5000 miles for the last 150,000 miles.  Or, there is a filter cup-wrench with a cut-out for that sensor.  Now that's a pia.  Or, there are filters, K&N, that have a hex for a socket on the end of them.
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

Sailor285

Ive had 2 harleys with the oil cooler both baggers..been using the harley filter wrench.Its just a thin band that you use with a 3/8ths ext. works great on my heritage also..Bought it in 04 and paid about 11 bucks..dont know how much they are now...Dan

Fast Copperhead

i have been using the K&N filter with the 17mm nut on the end. This eliminates the problem.

smittyon66

I use a KD strap type oil filter wrench. You can get one for $7.99 from Sears.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

Phu Cat

A strap wrench has been workin fine for me too for about the last 10 years.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Bigs

The strap wrench that Smitty showed is one of the best oil filter wrenches I have. I can use it on my large Cummins oil filter or my small Honda oil filter. It's the only thing that works on my Road Glide with the Harley oil cooler in front. I use a 2 liter bottle cut out with a couple of paper towels under the filter and don't get any oil on the engine.
   Bigs

starrider

I use the HD oil filter cap with the cut out section for the sensor...3/8 inch drive with a 10-12 inch extention. Along with tin foil to divert the oil from running over the voltage regulator...

Rags722

Nothing but a strap wrench for years.  Even came in handy when my neighbor munged up the PVC coupling on his swimming pool filter and his next step was to destroy it to get it off.  Strap wrench did the trick in 30 seconds.  Actually, it took longer to walk to the garage and pick it up than to break the coupling loose.

calif phil

S&S has an oil filter that has a slightly smaller shell. Part number for Twin Cam is 31-4104 chrome.   Made in USA and seems to be great quality. The smaller shell makes it a lot easier to get a wrench or strap on it. I have been using them and I really like them.

03rdkng

PkgMan
I am using a HD oil cooler set up that extends the filter far enough out that I have to pll the CPS.  This is the cheaper of the two HD coolers offered in 03.  Dont have part number handy.

PkgMan

Well all, thanks for all the suggestions, great ideas

May give the strap wrench a whirl.  Such a pia to get my mitts in there.

Does that strap slip at all when tightened up or down, looks like it is made from nylon?

Thanks

Bob

smittyon66

Does that strap slip at all when tightened up or down, looks like it is made from nylon?

It's almost like seat belt webbing. No it doesn't slip. More you twist, the tighter it gets. I always try to get it on near the end of the filter, because it will crush a stuck filter.

I have one at home and one at work that I use to change filters on big diesel engines.
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!