May 02, 2024, 04:47:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Help, this a new one on me

Started by smutley, November 03, 2008, 08:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smutley

Does anyone have an idea on this ???

Did a oil and filter change sunday FXST 86 (up until that day  engine was in tip top condition), went for a ride yesterday and when at stops i notice a little smoke out of exhausts at idle  after a while i stop bike and after a while start the bike and rear exhaust blows out a huge amount of grey/white smoke out, went for a ride today and same happened again just didn't seem to be as bad  anyone had a similar experience.

thanks guys
smutley
Rather be hated for who i am
than be loved for who i'm not

dave_9113

1)  Different type of oil?
2)  consistently on rear exhaust?
4)  mileage?

My wild guess guide seals. 

dave

smutley

should have said
Harley 20/50  same as always
seems to be both exhausts  just not at the same time
and the miliage is 72,000 km (not miles) as far as i can believe
only had base gaskets done first time in 05
Rather be hated for who i am
than be loved for who i'm not

Tattoo

Do you still have the oil filter box? If so get the part# off the box.
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Namvet

Quote from: Tattoo on November 04, 2008, 02:59:25 AM
Do you still have the oil filter box? If so get the part# off the box.

My guess also, wrong oil filter.

Trip

stroker800

I would guess you have on a twin cam oil filter,,,,the filter media is too small for the evo pump ...so the motor is bein pressurized and forcing out the oil thru where ever it can..I have argued with an indy shop owner friend of mine over the filter issues...Do no run a tc filter on an evo....
Dave

HeritageSpecial

Hi Smutley,

In fact, why use HD filters at all when the following are proven qualiy and apropriate design:

EVO COMPATIBLE OIL FILTERS

•  Purolator PL10241 / PL25230
•  Mobil 1 M1-102
•  Bosch 3330

•  All of these oil filters have 3/4" x 16tpi threads, 8 psi by-pass valve, anti-drain back valve and fit all HD models.

I use the Purolator on both of my Evo's. Just remove the sticky label and rattle can 'em black. Works for me...

Regards,
HS
2009 FLHTCU "BargeGlide" Stage 2 / 1996 FLSTN Stage 3.

04glide

I have been using the Bosch 3330 filters for many years and they work great. And I can find them anywhere.

dakota224

I do the same as HS, Puralator #10241 and rattlecan them black.. and now run Valvoline 20W50 V-twin Dino oil. $3.50 for the filter and $3.50 per quart for the oil..  good deal for top quality.  all at Autozone.. and at most autoparts stores in the USA. :up:

Snag

I've been using Wix 51215's on my evo , used them on my Shovel too (aftermarket oil filter mount) . If you get them at NAPA , it's 1215 NAPA Gold . Some guys on the XL-LIst cut up a bunch of filters a few years back . Wix was the overwhelming winner for construction details and filter meduim surface area. And cheaper than HD branded filters .
  Snag - if ya want chrome it's a 51216 , IIRC .
Snag
'90 FLHTCU "Strider"