April 27, 2024, 03:34:52 AM

News:

OT Coleman fuel

Started by skeets, January 06, 2009, 04:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeets

OK Rain and ice snow and freezing fog,,, poof power is gonezo,, my half assed flashlight had just enough stuff left so i could get the gen set going,,But I was pullin the cable out from th house I saw my Coleman Latern,, wont light its dry,, Now what i want to know is this,,, its a really old lamp maybe 40 or 50 years old still works like a charm,,when it has gas,,, what else can i use if i dont have Coleman fuel,, I know the really old ones used gasoline,, any ideas???
Am fear nach gleidh na hairm san t sith, cha bhi iad aige'n am a' chogaidh

Deye76

I quit messing with those old lanterns awhile ago. I would be careful, too many get burned with gasoline. Bought a Coleman propane lantern (uses the small canisters) and it works like a charm. When I'm in Wyoming hunting out of a tent, I keep it on low during the night, helps keep the tent warm.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

JamLazyAss

Don't take this as gospel, but for some reason I remember the words White Gas from the 60's as being suitable???
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Coyote

From a quick search I found this. Take your pick I guess..

Coleman fuel or the Wal-Mart equivalent white gas is inexpensive and comes in convenient gallon size metal containers. Unleaded gas burns too hot for a regular stove and there's no way to convert it except to replace the inner workings.

Regular gasoline will work just fine in your older (non-dual-fuel) Coleman lantern. The only thing I have heard is gasoline use "may" cause carbon deposits to develop a little faster in the lanterns generator. I don't know anyone that has personally had any problem with using regular gasoline, but your experience may be different. If you are concerned, buy a spare generator and keep it on the shelf. As in all things, be smart, refuel outdoors, perhaps light and allow the lantern to stabilize before bringing in indoors.

The only lantern I am aware of that will burn "ANYTHING", including gasoline, Coleman fuel, kerosene, diesel, bio-diesel, even used motor oil, is a "Britelyt" lantern, the latest (much improved) version of the old Petromax lanterns. Britelyt may be able to bring your older version Petromax lantern up to date with all their improvements, worth a look. They do have repair parts, mantels and that sort of thing available on line. Do not try to burn gasoline in your Chinese copy, it may, or may not become a bomb.

FYI....Coleman fuel is Naphtha with rust inhibitors, octane is about 50, so don't put it in your car. I have opened very old cans of Coleman fuel probably 20 years old, and it was excellent, I can not say the same thing for gasoline after even one year. May want to save your coleman fuel and burn the gasoline first.

seattledyna

I would think just about every sporting goods store will carry white gas.

when I was a kid mowing lawns for the neighbors, when I would run out of "gas" I would use dads camping supply "white gas" in the mower to get a lawn finished, mower ran just fine...if not a bit cleaner!

isnt naptha like mineral sprits paint thinner?

Phu Cat

I'd be DAMNED careful using gasoline in one of those things.  The temperature that gasoline ignites at is very low, that's what makes it so tricky.  Not sure I'd want to take the chance any more.  How much is your hide worth?  You get gasoline on ya and it catches fire, you ain't gonna be ridin again for a long time.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Dresser

Using gasoline in a Coleman lantern is real bad idea. The fumes off of using gasoline are real bad for your health.

Richard Till

the 93 octane white gas by bp, (formally American Oil) will work just fine in your Coleman lantern.

still_on2_wheels

Quoteoctane is about 50, so don't put it in your car

Ran out of gas in a Karman Ghia in the early 80s and yes....a car will run.....barely run...on Coleman.

:smilep:

Jeff
Shiney side up please.

Baggerlady

They have lanterns that look like the Colemans, but they run on "D" batteries. They put off a lot of light, and are safe! And they last quite a long time too. After losing power for 5 days, mine got a lot of use, as did the little led headlights, and regular flashlights. Good luck, and hope you get back on soon! :rose:

CndUltra88

Quote from: Phu Cat on January 06, 2009, 06:49:12 PM
I'd be DAMNED careful using gasoline in one of those things.  The temperature that gasoline ignites at is very low, that's what makes it so tricky.  Not sure I'd want to take the chance any more.  How much is your hide worth?  You get gasoline on ya and it catches fire, you ain't gonna be ridin again for a long time.
Phu Cat is correct about useing gasoline and its flash point...
The flash point for gasoline is someplace in the neighbourhood of -57 degrees F.
Right now is the wrong time to experiment with gasoline tosee if it will work.
Your local hardware store or wally world that carries coleman fuel or generic name "white gas"
is what I would be looking for, and if I could hazard a guess as well you will likely need some mantels as well so get both while your out.
Hope your not in the dark to long.
Rob

PC
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

panhead_dan

I've been using regular unleaded gas in my coleman products for many years. The only problem is the smell. Good ventelation is vital.

Phu Cat

Right, CnD.  The flash on gasoline is lower this time of year because the refineries put butane in it so engines will start in cold weather.  During the summer flash will run about 10 below zero.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

panheaddreamer58

Quote from: Coyote on January 06, 2009, 04:48:45 PM
From a quick search I found this. Take your pick I guess..

Coleman fuel or the Wal-Mart equivalent white gas is inexpensive and comes in convenient gallon size metal containers. Unleaded gas burns too hot for a regular stove and there's no way to convert it except to replace the inner workings.

Regular gasoline will work just fine in your older (non-dual-fuel) Coleman lantern. The only thing I have heard is gasoline use "may" cause carbon deposits to develop a little faster in the lanterns generator. I don't know anyone that has personally had any problem with using regular gasoline, but your experience may be different. If you are concerned, buy a spare generator and keep it on the shelf. As in all things, be smart, refuel outdoors, perhaps light and allow the lantern to stabilize before bringing in indoors.

The only lantern I am aware of that will burn "ANYTHING", including gasoline, Coleman fuel, kerosene, diesel, bio-diesel, even used motor oil, is a "Britelyt" lantern, the latest (much improved) version of the old Petromax lanterns. Britelyt may be able to bring your older version Petromax lantern up to date with all their improvements, worth a look. They do have repair parts, mantels and that sort of thing available on line. Do not try to burn gasoline in your Chinese copy, it may, or may not become a bomb.

FYI....Coleman fuel is Naphtha with rust inhibitors, octane is about 50, so don't put it in your car. I have opened very old cans of Coleman fuel probably 20 years old, and it was excellent, I can not say the same thing for gasoline after even one year. May want to save your coleman fuel and burn the gasoline first.

Coleman white gas is NOT cheap no more. Needed some to wash my pan clutches and paid 10.99 gallon. Acourse that was bought in the sticks at a liqure store.