May 04, 2024, 01:13:13 AM

News:

Performance question.

Started by crazycalvin, January 06, 2009, 06:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycalvin

I finished my build on my '06 Deuce; went 95 CID, 10.25:1 pistons, SE203 cams, SEST with 141NU002 download that I am massaging, Vance & Hines BSS.  My friend has a very well tuned '07 Street Glide with 103 & 255 cams.  Out of the hole, my bike screams and I can take him with ease.  When we try a 2000 rpm roll on in fourth gear, he can take me (slowly) until I start getting some rpms up.  Should I be able to take him from that 2000 RPM fourth gear roll on also?  Thanks, Calvin.

Sonny S.

Should I be able to take him from that 2000 RPM fourth gear roll on also?

No, he is making more torque at lower rpm's than you are, and torque is what gets the bike moving.....HP keeps it moving

03deuce

That 103 with 255 cams has a ton of torque down low.  A good 2 into 1 exhaust would help your cause, as well as soon head work.

GoFast.....

His forth and your forth are different and a bigger a bigger engine
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

tomp

I agree that he should win as he has more torque down low with bigger stroker motor and cams that build tq sooner. He probably is running slip-ons which is keeping his low-end in check and your pipes are causing you a loss down low. Go with a good 2-into-1 pipe like a D&D Fat Cat and have it retuned/remapped and I bet you should stay right there with him and then barely barely pull slightly on him. Heck, you still might not be able to pull on that 103" if both of you are running everything else stock...LOL

crazycalvin

I have considered installing the quiet baffles.  Outside of that, I am not planning on any headwork or exhaust changes for a while.

crazycalvin

PS Thanks for the info, Calvin.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Sonny S. on January 06, 2009, 06:56:28 PM
Should I be able to take him from that 2000 RPM fourth gear roll on also?

No, he is making more torque at lower rpm's than you are, and torque is what gets the bike moving.....HP keeps it moving

No No...  :smilep: The guy with the 103 is making more HP at 2K than the 95 is at 2K..  :wink: Max

ICANTD55

Feed your buddy more pizza and beer  :idea:
RICK , MA

crazycalvin

Scramjet

Calvin,

Wow, that is a lot of compression for the SE203.  Does it ping?

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

crazycalvin

Scramjet, not on a regular basis.  I have done data logging with my SEST and looked at the results.  Out of all my data logged so far, it had knock retard of 4 degrees at 4553 RPM and went down to 2 degrees at the next frame and 1.5 degrees at the next frame and gone on the next frame.  The knock retard was for the rear cylinder only and wide open throttle in second gear while doing a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear blast from a 10 mph roll on.  It has not shown any knock retard for 2000 RPM roll on in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear roll ons.  Later, Calvin.

M.PRUCINSKY

Don D

There was a post here a few days back that focused on a STOCK compression 95" motor and 203 cams that was pinging. His should not ping with 8.5/1 corrected CR, this one much more likely to ping at 9.5/1 corrected. Carb VS EFI

FLTRI

Quote from: crazycalvin on January 07, 2009, 03:43:24 PM
Scramjet, not on a regular basis.  I have done data logging with my SEST and looked at the results.  Out of all my data logged so far, it had knock retard of 4 degrees at 4553 RPM and went down to 2 degrees at the next frame and 1.5 degrees at the next frame and gone on the next frame.  The knock retard was for the rear cylinder only and wide open throttle in second gear while doing a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear blast from a 10 mph roll on.  It has not shown any knock retard for 2000 RPM roll on in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear roll ons.  Later, Calvin.
If the knock retard occurred when outside temp outside was cool (<75deg) you may be looking at more frequent detonation when the temp gets to (>80deg). However, before I'd start retarding ignition I would run some water or seafoam thru it to remove any possible carbon build up in the combustion chamber(s).
Then, if recorded retard/detonation was still there, I would remove 2 degs at a time from the rear cylinder only and only in the rpms where the detonation was logged.
HTH,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

crazycalvin

Thanks for the advice Bob.  Later, Calvin.

Quick_2s

Not to hijack but I keep seeing this water seafoam procedure being mentioned, what is the actual procedure on this for those of us that are in the dark.
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

FLTRI

Quote from: Quick_2s on January 08, 2009, 01:45:15 PM
Not to hijack but I keep seeing this water seafoam procedure being mentioned, what is the actual procedure on this for those of us that are in the dark.

Here ya go:
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

crazycalvin

Quote from: FLTRI on January 08, 2009, 12:58:07 PM
Quote from: crazycalvin on January 07, 2009, 03:43:24 PM
If the knock retard occurred when outside temp outside was cool (<75deg) you may be looking at more frequent detonation when the temp gets to (>80deg). However, before I'd start retarding ignition I would run some water or seafoam thru it to remove any possible carbon build up in the combustion chamber(s).
Then, if recorded retard/detonation was still there, I would remove 2 degs at a time from the rear cylinder only and only in the rpms where the detonation was logged.
HTH,
Bob

Bob, something that kind of surprised me, was when and where the bike retarded timing.  I would have expected the bike to ping at the low rpm roll on in a higher gear than at 4553 rpms in second while doing a hole shot.  Later, Calvin.

FLTRI

Calvin,
I agree, but the ECM saw improper burn and as long as it repeated, I would tend to believe it, especially if it stopped after a couple (up to 4 if necessary) degs were remove.
No ignition control system is perfect so it pays to work off repeatability.
HTH,
Bob

crazycalvin

Quote from: FLTRI on January 08, 2009, 01:57:30 PM
Calvin,
I agree, but the ECM saw improper burn and as long as it repeated, I would tend to believe it, especially if it stopped after a couple (up to 4 if necessary) degs were remove.
No ignition control system is perfect so it pays to work off repeatability.
HTH,
Bob

Roger that!  I will keep on logging data and make the occasional adjustment and then log data.  Later, Calvin.