May 04, 2024, 11:46:46 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary Gasket

Started by Dresser, January 06, 2009, 07:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dresser

I was in my primary a while back. I replaced the gasket when I put it back together. That was about 6 months ago. I've got an oil leak on the primary now. I'm going to replace the gasket again. Is there a gasket sealer that should be put on with the gasket or is it put on dry? I put it on dry last time.

les

The gasket is intended to be put on dry.  Did you torque the outer primary in sequence and to torque specs?  Also, I've seen where the primary is warped and sealing problematic.  When replacing I recommed chasing the threads with a tap, cleaning the bolt threads with a die, cleaning out the bolt holes with electrical cleaner spray, and using blue loctite.  Make sure to torque in specified sequence and to torque.  After final torque, check the bolts torque at least once again.

If you still get a leak after this then do everything above except try some Permitex on both sides of the gasket.  You're probably warped.

tmwmoose

If it took six month's to start leaking it's probably something else. Get on your hands and knees with a flash lite and look at the bottom rear back of the inner housing below the trans pulley look hard its some times hard to see on black wrinkle finishes and if its wet it is most likely a starter shaft seal , main shaft seal or shifter shaft seal. This is 90 percent of leaks in this area that roll in my shop. Remember when viewing oil leaks "old man gravity" just cause its on the bottom don't mean that's were it came from. Hope its a simple loose screw or gasket bro !

TXChop

yup, get a flashlight and check the shifter shaft seal. Seen many bikes have leaks there. If it is the primary cover, make sure there is no chrome pitting or old gasket residue. I tq the primary bolts 3 rounds, they stretch a ton.

ClassicRider2002

"......I was in my primary a while back. I replaced the gasket when I put it back together. That was about 6 months ago. I've got an oil leak on the primary now. I'm going to replace the gasket again. Is there a gasket sealer that should be put on with the gasket or is it put on dry? I put it on dry last time........"

Dresser.....

Hey I guess I would disagree with the idea of not using a gasket sealer......but here you go you can read about some reflections on the topic and decide for yourself....but I thought I would answer your question....that indeed there is an excellent product that I have used successfully for over 5 years now on my bikes.....thanks to Samuel.

SIMPLY CLICK, VIEW, & READ:

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Sonny S.

The new style gasket should not need any sealer, if it does you have something wrong or you have reused it too many times. BTW, I've reused up to 3 times with no problems.
Old paper ones are a different story.