April 30, 2024, 08:48:39 AM

News:

1974 XLH engine-good base?

Started by chromE, July 01, 2011, 04:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromE

Well, no replies to my frame question; so how about this one?  Is the subject title a good base for a custom build?  Pros or cons?  Let me know what you think.  Thanks

garyajaz

i bought one new.
still riding it,
last year where the shifter is on the proper side.

Jaycee1964

My profile pic is my wifes 74 sporty. Took 3 years to build it from boxes.  Runs like a scalded dog. 
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

wreck74

We are in america, we drive on the right side of the road, we brake with are right foot, Why did Harley Davidson put the brake on the wrong side ? My old triumph had the shift/brake backwards.

garyajaz

sportster was harleys performance bike.
while flat tracking it is better to shift with right foot cause left one is on the ground in corners.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: chromE on July 01, 2011, 04:45:57 PM
Well, no replies to my frame question; so how about this one?  Is the subject title a good base for a custom build?  Pros or cons?  Let me know what you think.  Thanks

No reason not to use that, but you'll need to get used to the shifter/brake bass-ackwards.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

chopper

Quote from: garyajaz on July 23, 2011, 05:48:59 PM
sportster was harleys performance bike.
while flat tracking it is better to shift with right foot cause left one is on the ground in corners.

Exactly right.  If you're going to race, the right hand shifter makes perfect sense. Anyway, its not a big deal. I can jump back and forth no problem.
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

RLPOS1

Ralph Nader had that changes because folks riding all the foreigh bikes couldn't remember when they got on an american mad BIKE
1996 FXD
T/Jet kit, S/E 6000 RPM Ignition, Hooker Tunable's, EV27, HyperCharger

amf 71flh

love my 74, great motor, tons of power......

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Winston Wolf

Quote from: amf 71flh on November 04, 2011, 07:11:19 AM

Nice bike.  I've got the maroon version.  I have one of the original license plate alarms (NOS) in a box in the garage if you wanted it....

nibroc

there are times after riding one on my XLCH's that i do forget which side the brake is on the evos :wtf:

CaptMike

Darm that's a nice scooter.  Yours looks correct for an XLCH.  I also had a 1974.   I put a set of 4 5/8 S&S wheels in mine, with Sifton Minus-Minus
cams...  It would run low 12 second 1/4's. 

I personally liked the shifter on the "Correct" (right) side.

To the OP.

Why a custom 1974 and why a Sporty?   Hack up the new stuff, it's cheap (and unhack the old stuff).
1957 Pan, 1997 Black Betty Bobber, 1998 RoadGlide
Pogo Stick

Winston Wolf

Quote from: CaptMike on February 08, 2012, 03:06:49 PM

Darm that's a nice scooter.  Yours looks correct for an XLCH.  I also had a 1974.   I put a set of 4 5/8 S&S wheels in mine, with Sifton Minus-Minus

To the OP.

Why a custom 1974 and why a Sporty?   Hack up the new stuff, it's cheap (and unhack the old stuff).

I agree on hacking them up.  (Mostly) Stock is cock.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

CaptMike

Oh my...  that's a Rare bird (the color) and not being dicked-up.   

Every time I go to buy a "used" bike I always ask, "You Still Have Those Take-off Parts"?   

Quote from: Winston Wolf on February 27, 2012, 07:12:00 AM
Quote from: CaptMike on February 08, 2012, 03:06:49 PM

To the OP.

I agree on hacking them up.  (Mostly) Stock is cock.
1957 Pan, 1997 Black Betty Bobber, 1998 RoadGlide
Pogo Stick