May 01, 2024, 11:22:43 PM

News:

Gryphon, help please?

Started by shovelbill, January 06, 2009, 09:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shovelbill

hey Gryphon,
got a question or 2 or 3 for you. when you put those new wheels on that 4 speed, where did you get that 'big hole' rear sprocket? or did you ream an old 1.9" out? was it flat or dished? could ya give me a clue on any other problems you ran into. i already have my wheels with the correct sealed bearings for the 3/4 axle, after that i haven't given it much thought yet. ???..be well,
                                                                                     bill
build it, bust it.....figure out why

gryphon

I used a standart offset Shovel sprocket that was turned out to 2.241. This lined me up pretty much dead on to my tranny sprocket. Remember though that I have a 5 speed and I'm running a .250 offset trans sprocket. If running a standard 4 speed trans I would think that a safer way to go would be to use a flat sprocket and one of the spacers made by Vulcan. They have a female locating ring on one side and a male on the other  so it keeps everything lined up and centered. They are available in lots of sizes and also as adapters with the smaller ring on the outside for your standard sprocket to slip over and a larger hole on the other side to slip over the register on the wheel. Of course you won't know what size spacer you'll need til you can get the sprocket on there and measure the offset between it and the front sprocket. This pretty much means you're gonna have to turn out the center hole. Unless you've already torn your bike down for the winter I would go with a new sprocket rather than turning out your old one. That way your bikes not down for a month while your waiting for the correct stuff to arrive.

shovelbill

thanks man,
i see what you mean with the flat sprocket, much cleaner that way. searched and came up with PBI sprockets, but thier site is down so i'll call em. i'll go checkout Vulcan's site and start to put this together in my head. thanks again, :up:
                   bill

gryphon

PBI's site has been "under construction" for years. Do you know what size sprocket you want to run. The reason I ask is that I have a new 48 tooth flat sprocket I'll let go cheap since I can't use it anyway. Also, I have a 51 tooth standard shovel offset (.53") sprocket with the center already bored out to 2.241. If you like I can ship it to you (you pick up the shipping cost <$10) and you can mount it on the new wheel. Then after you center and align the wheel you can take your measurements and determine how much offset you actually need. After you get all your measurments done then just ship me back the loaner sprocket. You'll be out a few bucks for shipping but I think that's better than buying even one wrong sprocket or spacer. As long as you're not running a rear wheel drive speedo like I am it's pretty easy.

gryphon

By the way, which wheels did you get?

shovelbill

January 07, 2009, 07:03:03 PM #5 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:28:40 PM by shovelbill
Gryph, appreciate the 48 tooth offer, but i'm gonna run a 51 for the gear ratio i want with the baker 6/4 and the belt drive im getting. i'm still waiting on that JMC swingarm i ordered, maybe another month till i can mock her up. when i get it together ill definitely take ya up on the loaner sprocket for the measuring phase, if you still have it of course. i think the flat sprocket and proper spacer suite me much better. i got a set of spokes/tires from Black Bike Wheels. 16 x 3.5 chrome rim, ss spokes and billet hub for the rear with 3/4 sealed  bearings. 140/90/16 metzler 880. front is 18 x 3.25 same setup and for an '03 fatboy, those are the lowers i got. 130/70/18 metz 880. beautiful wheels, and i'm very happy with BB, great service, price, and follow up calls. pics aren't too great but youll get the 'picture'. i'll keep ya updated.......thanks