May 07, 2024, 08:34:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

advice on exhaust change

Started by someday69, January 06, 2009, 10:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

someday69

I've been plan'in this for a long time,,I've got the superT I've got the open end cap,,,I've just found the exhaust gaskets I misplaced,,,So I'm almost ready....I plan on use'in 10 to 12 disc's, with the open end cap...with this ":

02fxd 95" S&S 510g cams
                                                                                                                                S.B.C.-scottsmen heads
                                                                                                                                          30 thou gasket
                                                                                                                                          S.E  flat tops
                                                                                                                                            D.T.T. igintion
                                                                                                                                              CV40
I read that the long bolts that hold the disks should have the threads cleaned up:
I bought a set of tap & die tools,then I find out you can't use'em to clean up threads...So what "do" I use?
    And Do you think I will need to re-jet the carb...And how do I get in touch with that tuner flht that works here around san francisco bay??

PC_Hater

It depends on the tap and die tools you bought.
You should be able to use the appropriate die, very carefully, to clean up the threads on those very long screws.
All the the dies I have are adjustable. Start 'loose' for want of a better word to create a thread where there is none and gradually tighten up as you cut and recut. But they were my dad's and they are from the 1950s.

Or use a thread file. I have two. One for inch sized threads and one for metric threads. Very useful well when a quick clean-up is needed.

Use lots of copper grease on the threads. I did and two years later they are rusted solid! So perhaps don't use lots of copper grease - they will rust in anyway!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

jazzman713

what is copper grease? why not anti seize

Jeffd

I am sure he meant copper antisieze.  The copper has a higher temp range than the silver.  You don't need to run the tap in unless the threads are messed up.  I have had my end cap off and on a 100 times in the last 40,000 miles with no trouble.  I do use the copper anti sieze.

truck

January 07, 2009, 08:17:12 AM #4 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:20:17 AM by trück
copper antisieze = C5A. I don't recall the manufacturer's name.

Thank you Google
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=c5a+lubricant&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

aquaman

Quote from: someday69 on January 06, 2009, 10:59:17 PM
I've been plan'in this for a long time,,I've got the superT I've got the open end cap,,,I've just found the exhaust gaskets I misplaced,,,So I'm almost ready....I plan on use'in 10 to 12 disc's, with the open end cap...with this ":

02fxd 95" S&S 510g cams
                                                                                                                                S.B.C.-scottsmen heads
                                                                                                                                          30 thou gasket
                                                                                                                                          S.E  flat tops
                                                                                                                                            D.T.T. igintion
                                                                                                                                              CV40
I read that the long bolts that hold the disks should have the threads cleaned up:
I bought a set of tap & die tools,then I find out you can't use'em to clean up threads...So what "do" I use?
    And Do you think I will need to re-jet the carb...And how do I get in touch with that tuner flht that works here around san francisco bay??

I believe that is FLTRI.  Contact Bob at RC Cycles in Hayward: 30872 Huntwood Ave. #1, Hayward, CA 94544. (510) 471-9755
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock.
Will Rogers

randallwhitman

copper antisieze = C5A. I don't recall the manufacturer's name.

Probably Permatex.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

hdpegscraper

I believe you were looking for "Thread Chasers", they come in a set like a tap and die but are not designed to cut threads, and they usually come with thread files also.