May 04, 2024, 02:57:48 AM

News:

flhtcui 2002 swing arm removal

Started by pricey13, January 07, 2009, 12:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pricey13

is there much involved in removing swing arm from the frame,with all the rubber mounting, could anyone give me a quick run down on the procedure. this is on a 2002 ultra.swing arm appears to be bent,and tranny case cracked!! beware when buying pre owned.  thanks for any help.

NtTrain

January 07, 2009, 01:56:02 AM #1 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:48:33 AM by NtTrain
Other than removing the rear wheel and disconnecting the shocks I think THIS VIDEO will give a good idea of what's involved.  :beer: 

Forgot to test link ......... http://www.glide-pro.com/install/

Billy

A service manual is worth it's weight in gold if you plan on doing your own work, but here's the short version.

Raise bike; remove rear wheel; remove caliper; release brake line from clips; remove lower shock bolts; support the bottom of tranny; remove passenger floorboard mounts, this exposes the swingarm pivot shaft, remove nut and washer from one side of pivot shaft then drive it out the other side with a drift being careful not to damage it; swingarm should fall on floor.

Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

DarrellV

I have a 2002 E-Glide. I just pulled my swing arm off. Like Billy said buy a Manual...but the job itself isn't that hard. You don't have to "remove" the brake caliber from the brake line. Just slide it off out of the way. I roped mine off to my saddle bag rails.

pricey13

Thanks all, for the swing arm removal information. and video ,i do have a  factory manual on order $102.00 AU. Looks like an easy job, dont know about the tranny case ? might be able to get it welded yet.anyway this will be a  good start. thanks again Greg -australia

Clintster

Watch the brake line orientation.  When re-installing my swingarm I had to partially disassembled because of routing issues.  I had it wrong and had to start over, duuh.  Trying to save you that grief...
Drive fast, take chances

smoserx1

QuoteWatch the brake line orientation.  When re-installing my swingarm I had to partially disassembled because of routing issues.  I had it wrong and had to start over, duuh.  Trying to save you that grief...

I'll second that advice.

FatJohn

I was just thinking of replacing those rubber mounts. I don't really have a rear steer problem but was thinking of replacing just as a general maintenence item. Since its snowing what the heck.
How many miles do you get out of the OEM's anyways. I've got about 32 g's on them now.
And has anyone noticed a big difference from oem or aftermarket?
Thanks for replies.
John

smoserx1

QuoteHow many miles do you get out of the OEM's anyways. I've got about 32 g's on them now.

The swingarm cracked at 117K on my 99 FLHT.  When I replaced it I also replaced the rubber mounts.  The new ones were a superseded part, and slightly redesigned.  I did not notice any handling improvement at all, and the old ones that came out looked just fine. 

Clintster

I replaced the bearing and bushings.  When you get the shocks off check for side to side play.  Mine had too much, the bearings I had the local dealer install for me.  I probably didn't need the bushings, but I had purchased them, so I installed them.  There is a tool I just purchased off the swap meet section.  It is for aligning the swingarm, crucial when aligning motor in chassis.  After I did mine I had a little rear steer that did not exist previously.  I will set it up this winter, with the use of this tool and SM.  He charged 45 bucks, maybe one of the guys who rent tools may have one available.  Just another lesson in HD maintenance, the folks here are the best.  Especially for a backyard putz like me...
Drive fast, take chances

OFBagger

Clinster ... when your done using the swapmeet alignment tool let us know what you think, I had some problems with it, maybe just my inexperience with alignments, the shaft is offset a little from the center of the rubber mount, but it seemed to work in the end when I could get the drivetrain shifted enough for the alignment screw to hit the end of the pivot shaft.  There is service tool instructions for the kent more tool in the instruction sheet section  J02845 that has a lot more direction than the SM

FatJohn ... I have nearly 100K on my rubber mounts and when cleaned up looked like new, couldn't see where there was any wear anywhere on them, I'm thinking they will dry out and crack apart before they wear out

OFB