May 04, 2024, 03:03:36 AM

News:

Pipes and pushrods??

Started by sandrooney, January 07, 2009, 03:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

January 07, 2009, 03:31:43 AM Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 03:39:50 AM by sandrooney
Anybody ever use Cobra PowerPro 2 into 1's? Also which pushrods to use, and whats the difference between the adj. or timesaver,will eithier keep from having to remove rocker? Are Crane's good? I want to get ones that are not likley to rub covers,and Crane say's they won't. Is the only reason to use adj. is so the rockers won't have to come off ?  Thanks for your help,SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

lionsm13

I think that any 2-1 pipe will do better than most drag pipes will. I run kerkers, as you can usually buy them off of eBay for a buck and a little change, and they are not too loud until you get on em' and then they have a bark. They used to be standard issue on Big Dog bikes, and alot of guys took em off and put on those bent up looking ground pounders.
However if you have a nice set of drags you can always put a wee bit of a baffle in the drags and that will work for you just about as well.

As far as the pushrods go. I think that the time saver ones are the way to go. As far as the pushrods go, I had a set of cranes and yes they are heavy duty, in fact they were so heavy duty that they were banging the inside of the pushrod tubes.. too thick I guess.
So I took em' out and put in Rivera Taper Lites, and haven't had that problem since doing so.

rdkng

Havent heard nor seen the cobra, but I agree, that most 2 into 1's will out perform
dual slipons.  Some adjustable pushrods will not colapse enough to remove, so the
'time savers' ones are the way to go.  I've used the fat SE ones and didnt have a
clearance problem.  I think Crane makes high quality stuff. I thnk the only time
you 'have' to use adjustable pushrods is when the cam base circle is different from stock.
(but there could be some other cases)  and not having to remove the rockers is a
plus for most folks.  (personally I have a quick disconnect on my gas tank, so I can
change pushrods almost as fast as setting adjustable ones)
rdkng       
Happy Motoring, Road King George

MiketheBike

People mainly go to an adjustable push rod if they are doing some cam case work and don't want to lift the rocker cover every time they go in there, eg changing cams, bearings, lifters Etc. AS to what what type of adjustable you get, there are 2 basic types.

The aluminium ones are light and rigid but are much thicker than stock ones and as a result may end up rubbing on the tubes, depositing aluminium flakes on your lifters. This is a pain but fairly easily fixed by clearancing all the tubes with a rats tail file. This takes less than an hour and is my personal prefference.

THe steel ones are much narrower and give fewer problems with rubbing the tubes. However they are heavier than the original stock rods so they make life a little harder on all your valve train gear.  They are also much more flexible than the aluminium push rods. This is not a problem if you are running a stock cam and rev limmiter. However if your engine revs to 6,000rpm or more or if you are using a fast lift cam (like most andrews grinds) there will be a slight loss of performance in the high rev range.

Buddy WMC

I've been running the SE Chromemoly pushrods for quite some time. I think that they are very underrated and are a good bang for the buck. For the record I'm using them with a .595 lift V-Thunder cam, roller rockers and lifters on my 93 FXR. No pushrod tube rubbing, 0 problems and the valve train is quieter than it was with the previous EV-27.

sandrooney

Thanks for the help guy's, I am going to stick with the stock. I hope I won't ever have to go back in,and taking the pipes off was more work than getting to the pushrods, and I won't have to adjust them. I have got an EV27, D&D fatcat 2 into 1, SE Ignition, and some carb tune up stuff coming. I am going with the B lifters and Torrington bearing. I hope this will wake er up a bit.
Thanks again,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .