May 04, 2024, 09:25:36 AM

News:

Replacing lifters

Started by jimnewyork, January 07, 2009, 08:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimnewyork

Replacing cam on a 90 softail and while I'm at it will be replacing lifters (new factory "b" lifters). Can I replace lifters through the cam chest (as I'm gonna have it opened up anyway) or will I still have to remove the lifter blocks. Not sure if once I have the cam out if there's enough clearance to simply let the old lifters drop out from the lifter blocks and then simply just "push" the new lifters back up into place. I have the Crane installation tool that holds the lifters up out of the way. Thanks.

tinkerman

January 07, 2009, 01:33:37 PM #1 Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 05:28:27 AM by tinkerman
You'll have to remove the lifter blocks. The bore in the lifter blocks in which the lifter sits is not completely open into the cam chest.... ie., the roller is kept in line with the cam lobe by a slot at the bottom of the bore. this slot only lets the roller poke through into the cam chest, not the entire tappet.

I have my 88 top end apart now for the first time to freshen it up a bit. Time to replace the lifters, fix the base leak, have a look at the valves...etc.

Tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

gryphon

Nope. I've tried to do it before. Can't be done.

jimnewyork

Mule

Also you have to have them out to measure end play...Mule...