May 04, 2024, 09:49:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Blackstones Report Redline Vs Mobil 1

Started by Magnumwideglide, January 07, 2009, 02:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnumwideglide

Redline 20W-50   Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50, Shrunk the post enough in JPEG format to get it here.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Don D

Magnumwideglide

Probably charge more but what is TAN, something numbers I assume.

Hillside Motorcycle

We have a client that works for Castrol, and testing was done, in Toms River, New Jersey. Castrol, Spectro, Amsoil, and H-D Syn III.
Spectro stole the show, much to their(Castrols own testing facility)amazement.
Scott

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Don D

"Stole the show"
What specifically does that mean?
What areas of oil analysis were superior and what are the numbers. I don't disbelieve this at all just would like to make decisions based on test data.

cowboy

That report did'nt show any thing at all to me , not any good info for the lay man
cowboy 94 softail
AlvinTX

Hybredhog

That test really doesn't show much other than a given brands additive package, with redlines leaning to more expencive additives like molybenum & boron. What I look for is how much the  PPM quota shows on the wear items like aluminum (ie pistons), copper(ie bronze bushings), and Iron (ie cylinders),& chromium(ie bearings). I think to get a true overview of a synthetics quality, you should put on 5K miles+ to see some wear, and the consistancy of wear compaired to previous test...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

EagleFTE

TAN (Total Acid Number)

The quantity of base, expressed in terms of the equivalent number of milligrams (mg) of Potasium Hydroxide, that is required to titrat the strong acid constituents present in 1 gram (g) of oil sample. (ASTM Method D 644 or D 974).

Faast Ed

QuoteThat test really doesn't show much other than a given brands additive package, with redlines leaning to more expencive additives like molybenum & boron. What I look for is how much the  PPM quota shows on the wear items like aluminum (ie pistons), copper(ie bronze bushings), and Iron (ie cylinders),& chromium(ie bearings). I think to get a true overview of a synthetics quality, you should put on 5K miles+ to see some wear, and the consistancy of wear compaired to previous test...Jeff

Not sure I understand you correctly.  I believe the metals ARE listed on his test.
≡Faast Ed>

Don D

Would agree ED
TAN would be important as it indicates oxidation due to overtemperature.
Oxidation and nitration break down the viscosity.

Magnumwideglide

Jeff the metals are stated.  Mobil 1 does use more boron, which you state Redline uses more of that.  The left colume is Redline, the Right column, from April, is M1.