May 02, 2024, 01:55:54 AM

News:

rear full coverage chaingaurd

Started by bubbarawn, January 07, 2009, 03:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbarawn

are they aftermarket? i thought they were stock. they are not listed in bruce palmers book. any info or pics? thanks

CraigArizona85248

What do you mean by "full coverage"?

This one is pretty much like the stock chain guard (with the exception of the chrome).

bubbarawn

no Craig the one that covers the entire chain. top and bottom. it also has the same inspection cover as the primary cover. it must be period aftermarket because it aint in palmers book. they are probibly a nightmare to deal with but they are really sweet lookin'.  i will post a pic when i find one. thanks.

bubbarawn

found it :up:
are these aftermarket or stock?

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

CraigArizona85248

ULTRADOG

police bikes had those look at fxrp parts
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

Pzokes

I think that those full cover chainguards for Panheads were an accessory item.  I've only seen them for rigid frames, but they may have made them for for swing frames too.  They always sold used for high dollars, so I never tried one.

The ones for FXR's are different. They were used on FXRT's and they do extend the rear chain life an unbelievable amount. They have seals on the mating parts and a small amount of oil is retained in the housing.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

ElPaso 52

My 56 has one and it does keep the chain clean. The downside is that an O ring chain is too wide to fit.
Ron
56FL

bubbarawn

January 09, 2009, 04:50:43 AM #9 Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:55:45 AM by bubbarawn
the 84-85 FLTs had em too. i always assumed they were stock because of the inspection cover was the same as the primary cover. i have seen alot of pans and never seen one of these in person. el paso what is the rear inspection cover for?
thanks for the info. :up:

ElPaso 52

Ron
56FL

Pzokes

bubbarawn,

I didn't know that the 84-85 FLTs had them too.  I guess that it must have been on both them and the FXRTs the few years just before Harley converted to rear belt drive.

bubbarawn

el paso the front hole is for chain tension but what about that cover in the back. (at the very back of the sprocket) you can really see it good in the link hal64hd posted.

Pzokes my buddy had one and his chain lasted forever. it was a full oil bath i believe. he said it was a pain in the butt to replace the chain when he finally did change it.

CraigArizona85248

Not sure, but it looks like the plate at the back may be removable to allow you to easily service the chain... clean and lube.

-Craig

ElPaso 52

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on January 09, 2009, 07:05:26 PM
Not sure, but it looks like the plate at the back may be removable to allow you to easily service the chain... clean and lube.

-Craig

Thats what I use it for.
Ron
56FL

panz4ever

this is what he is referring to. It was on a 48 that a buddy I and built up 15 years ago

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

bubbarawn

panz4ever- it dont get much better than that :smiled:

Ultrashovel

Quote from: bubbarawn on January 09, 2009, 04:50:43 AM
the 84-85 FLTs had em too. i always assumed they were stock because of the inspection cover was the same as the primary cover. i have seen alot of pans and never seen one of these in person. el paso what is the rear inspection cover for?
thanks for the info. :up:

That's correct. I one almost purchased an '84 Shovelhead FLT that had a 100% rear chain cover. I don't know of any other models that had them, however.

ElPaso 52

Mine does not have oil in it. I still have to lube the chain.
Ron
56FL

drinner-okc

These chainguards were in the Dixie Catalog, and were available for swingarm frames also. I can not find the literature,
but the rear inspection cover is to gauge chain & sprocket wear/condition. Something about pulling the chain away from
the sprocket, if it goes so-far, the chain is stretched too far, and if the teeth are hooked, the sprocket's shot. (or if the links are into the dust shield) That's the only place you can see the sprocket.
In the 'old days' i kept 2 chains for my bike. I had an old skillet with petroleum jelly (Vasoline) I would clean my chain real
good (powerwasher) and let it dry a bit, then roll it up in a circle & put it into the skillet and heat the jelly. I let it cook
a while, then hung it up over the skillet to drip. Then when I wanted to swap chains I pulled that rear cover rolled the wheel until the master-link was there and unpinned the chain. I hooked the chains together, and pulled the dirty chain
out the hole. Usually had to completely readjust the chain though. I did the same with my primary chains. changed it when
the clutch hub rollers needed lubed.
The vasoline lasted 4-6 chains.
Back then you could get chain lube made from whale sperm, wierd stuff, the hotter it got, the 'stickier' it became. As it cooled, you could see it creep into the rollers & pins. Can't find it anymore, just like all the good chemicals.

Pzokes

I don't have a lot of old catalogs, but I do have a 1960 Superior Catalog.  It is listed in there as Chain Enclosure Part #1 M 10C for chrome, price: $29.95 and Part # 1 M 10B for black, price: $23.95. 

bubbarawn

i would love to see(or buy) one for a round swing arm.
drinner-okc i think the whale sperm is gone because it got to hard to find people to "jack off" a whale. :smilep:

panz4ever

Quote from: bubbarawn on January 10, 2009, 06:01:00 PM
panz4ever- it dont get much better than that :smiled:

If it does someone has got to post it/tell me. It was a sweet running bike. Three kicker...two prime and one to start, even in cold weather  :smile: