May 04, 2024, 04:30:54 AM

News:

gear cams issue some help appreciated?

Started by itsafatboy, January 07, 2009, 06:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsafatboy

so got the cams in the cam plate tw9bg's RR camp plate there is one spot when turning the cams that is tight like a grindy feel and when i put plate in bike and spin the grind feeling is still there feels tight for about a 1/4 of the turn, so will this hurt anything or will the stuff loosen up , i have a smaller inner gear already on the cam, pretty normal for the rr plate , or should i try changing the bearings again and re press on the gears to see what happens. if it wont hurt anything i would just run it that way??

thanks and dave if you have any sug call me thanks     

NightTrain67

Bob,

If I had to take a stab at it, I would say that one of the bearings in the plate is not quite flush in the cam plate and is causing a bind for part of the rotation.  I have felt this before when the bearings are not perfectly flush in the plate.  When I have done this in the past, I will unpress the cams and try to repress the bearings/cams.  In a couple instances, I have had to throw away the bearings and try an new set.  In any event, if this is in fact what is happening in your situation, I would not run it....the bearing will eventually fail.  Give me a shout....
2002 Nightrain
117 ci  R&R Stage V Heads, TR650G cams, Mik. 48, Baker 6-Speed

Billy

Once a few years ago, I thought it might be a good idea to use some red loctite between the bearings' outer races and camplate for extra holding strength, what I got was partially binding gears as you described, I took it apart, cleaned out the loctite then reinstalled and all was OK, started engine and it ran quiet.

So I have to ask; Did you use loctite on the bearings?
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Admiral Akbar

It probably depends on how tight is tight.. I have a set that has the slightest roughness in one spot. With the plate in the motor you could feel it but it only slightly impared rotation... I ran it that way and at about 17K they still looked cherry,, The issue is probably not the bearing.. In my case the tightness appeared where the keyways in the gears ran between the cams.. I believe that when they broach the keyway the gear gets a little distorted.  

You also want to make sure that the bearing retainer is clearing the cams..  

Max

les

Along the lines of what Max says, did the cams come with the cam gears already installed or did you press the cam gears on to the cams?  Like Max says, any sliver of metal that got shaved when pressing the gears on to the cams could be distorting the gears.  I've hear of cams having to be redone because of this.