May 08, 2024, 08:52:18 AM

News:

Bike Security Tips?

Started by Molly, January 07, 2009, 10:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

My wife's due to have our first baby any time now so, along with a million other things, we've bought a baby monitor. Anyway, I've just set it up in the garage to 'monitor' the bike. Looks like we're going to have to buy another one...

HroadhogD1

Better be careful when the friends come over and are hanging out in the garage.    :hyst:

ModelABob

The best bike security tip that I can give is:  "common sense"!  That and know who your friends are AND who their friends are! :angry:

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

MrClean

So you poked a little fun at her and she took you serious. :hyst: :wink:

Boy or girl?

Congratulation and start looking for a side car for the little bugger.

These are the facts according to my opinions.

Big Dan

January 08, 2009, 09:55:06 AM #4 Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:17:42 AM by Big Dan
I always try to travel with at least one or two bikes that are way nicer/more desirable than mine. I figure if the thieves strike, they'll take the "good" bikes and leave my beloved Beula Mae alone.

Oh.... and congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Molly!
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

fattmann101

:duel: I prefer a 44 magnum and a big a_ _ dog.

hdjax2

My security tip uses hollow points

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

Biscuit

Congrats Molly.  Show us a picture of the baby on the bike as soon as you can.
"I do all my own stunts".

RK101

January 08, 2009, 11:13:33 AM #8 Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:15:34 AM by RK101
I agree with Big Dan. Always ride with bikes nicer than yours. :wink: My bikes and 04 so I ride with guys that have 07's 08's and 09's.  :teeth:

Congrats Molly
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

seattledyna

best security tip i have heard was hang an EMPTY holster from the bars as the bike sits in front of the hotel room  ;)

Memnar

Well this is what I did when we visited my wife's little sister - she lives in a bad part of Phoenix.

1. No garage, just a carport, and can't get the bike to the backyard.
2. Took a huge big chain and chained the bike to the carport, thru the truck and thru the bike frame.
3. Then took a white bed sheet and covered the bike.
4. From the street you could not even tell there was a bike there with the bed sheet.

I was just trying to slow the thieves down..

Erik
Albuquerque, NM.

ceduby

Beat it to fit, paint it to match

70weight

Get a Gold Wing cover...I luv that one. Travelin with newer bikes is good too an I never had a problem with that since I ride a 76 FLH.
Can't drink all day if ya don't start in the mornings.

Phu Cat

Or get a goldwing.  Doubt they ever get stolen.  At least I've never heard of one being stolen.

But I really like Seattledyna's idea of the MT holster.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

guido4198

If I'm stayin' in a motel..I look for one where I will be able to roll her in the room with me. When I check in, I specify first floor, "around back". Don't know if this will work for a dresser. My FXR fits through a standard door just fine, even with the oversize bags stuffed full. I don't ask anyone about whether it's OK...I just QUIETLY roll her in. Been doin' this for 25 yrs. and never had a problem with motel management. 

Phu Cat

Yep, Guido, it ain't gonna work with a bagger.  I like your style tho.  I wouldn't give 'em the opportunity to say no either.  I trust you're not a smoker.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

guido4198

No....Not a smoker.
As much as I like the "Street-Glide" look....I didn't think my "roll it in the room" program would work.
Best deal I ever ran into was a older motel in Gretna Louisiana....the rooms were pretty cheap, and large enough for 2 bikes..!! AND...they had a shuttle that dropped us off at the riverside where the ferry landed that took us across the Mississippi River to the French quarter in New Orleans. THAT was a good night.. :up:.( as I remember...) The ferry stopped running @ midnight, so we got a cab to take us across the bridge, back to the motel about 3:00 am or whtever it was..... :wink:.