April 27, 2024, 04:50:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

06' trouble.....baffled ?? SOLVED!!

Started by Panzer, July 17, 2011, 08:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

July 17, 2011, 08:09:31 PM Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:12:36 PM by Panzer
Let’s see who has a logical diagnosis on this problem:
The machine is an 06 V-Rod with 6000 miles on the clock.
It was washed and waxed, filled up with fuel and driven approx. 6 miles when the engine, with no warning, just died.
Limping back to the house the bike would act jerky in the low RPM range to around 5000 rpm and pick up with no hesitation……..runs good.
Back down (say for a light) the engine again dies but can be restarted right away, but again jerky as if a plug is fouled.

The engine was again started and after approx 3 minutes of dying and starting.
A steady rpm was maintained and my hand was placed near one exhaust pipe then the other.
The front cylinder pipe exhaust seemed colder then the rear.
At this point (again at a steady rpm) the rear exhaust pipe started to spit a visible mist.
I held my hand about two (2 inches from the pipe and I was getting a blackish residue mist on my palm, it was almost like a water spray, not gas.
Two minutes later the misty residue on my hand was gone leaving only the blackish splatter that I mention.
Water would not evaporate that fast.
Again the exhaust was not real hot on this pipe either, but hotter then the lower pipe.
Next the tank was drained of fuel checking for water in the tank and also the fuel……….nothing.
Taking out and testing both plugs, the plugs checked ok.
Neither plug was wet.
Fresh fuel was added to the tank from a different source and whole bottle of dry gas was added to the tank.
Again the bike was test driven and the same…..…..no improvement.……..same trouble.
Nothing was accomplished and the bike was ridden long enough to get fresh fuel out of the fuel lines and into the cylinders.

The bike was loaded into a van and taken to the local HD dealer for the repair(s).
I’ll report back as to what the dealer finds after the bike is test ridden.
Any guesses???

BTW, where is the fuel filter located.
No, I don’t have a service manual on the bike……..yet!!
TIA,
Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

cherryseeg2

If the bike has a power commander unplug and bypass it. It may have gotten wet during the wash. 
2005 Cherry SEEG2-J&B Performance 120 163hp/144tq

Panzer

Thanks C2, it does have a PC, but hard to believe that it got wet just using a light spray from the hose to wash, but it's possible.
Other comments?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

dirty jim

SOUNDS LIKE A BROKEN FUEL PUMP LINE. MY 03 HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, WAS FIXED UNDER RECALL. IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THE FUEL LINE IS A PLASTIC TUBE IN THE TANK, AND IT BREAKS AT THE FLANGE. WHEN I GET HOME TONIGHT I'LL PULL THE RECIEPT.

dirty jim

PANZER, HOWS THIS, " PRODUCT PROGRAM BULLETIN M-1141 A.  FUEL FLANGE 75173 01-A. BY THE BY, WHATS THE PRIZE FOR THE CORRECT ANSWER?

FSG

M-1141A , Fuel Module Flange Replacement found in the Documents Section.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,36325.0.html

Panzer

FSG,
M-1141A, refers to an 02-03.
In the service bulletin pix it shows about three (3) lines to the top of the tank.
On this 06 bike, there is no lines going to the top.
:scratch:

Jim,
It may just be the flange, but if mother HD knew of the problem on the 02's & 03's you would think that they would have had up-dated parts installed by 06, three years later. :nix:
Prize? lmao........let me think on that, I'll come up with something. :up:

Again, thanks guys........I have you thinking!! :up:

dirty jim

Panzer

Brains burning?   Not yet!!  lol
Hows about two nights in Mexico City with a "hot" enchilada?
All expenses paid?  :hyst:
Just saying.  :embarrassed:

Hal64hd

Quote from: Panzer on July 18, 2011, 04:22:23 PM

FSG,
M-1141A, refers to an 02-03.
In the service bulletin pix it shows about three (3) lines to the top of the tank.
On this 06 bike, there is no lines going to the top.
:scratch:

Jim,
It may just be the flange, but if mother HD knew of the problem on the 02's & 03's you would think that they would have had up-dated parts installed by 06, three years later. :nix:
Prize? lmao........let me think on that, I'll come up with something. :up:

Again, thanks guys........I have you thinking!! :up:

06 has the 3 lines going to the top of the tank, it under the rubber flap. (pressure, return and vent) 06 also did not have flange problems that the 02-03 had.
Did you check for codes?  Coil packs are known for occasional failures, The first step after checking for codes should have been bypassing the PCIII

Panzer

Hal,
Some guys lead you to believe that they did one thing or another.
I try my best to describe exactly what was done and what was found.
I have to side with you that a coil is going bad with "like" symptoms of a fouled plug.
In my experience, coils rarely go bad but can happen.
I was taught that a solid state unit is either a "go" or "no" go situation, so I'm guessing the CD is not the problem.
Like I said, I don't have a service manual on the bike (yet) and didn't think of looking under the rubber boot.........thx for the heads up. :up:Also a Power Commander is new to me, it came with the bike as it was purchased (bike) about 1-1/2 months ago.
She ran fine till now. :nix:

Thx 4 your input  :beer:

Panzer

As of today, the bike was picked up from the dealership.
They said the Power Commander on board went bad, thus the trouble.
Since we purchased a one year 100% warranty, they installed a new Power Commander.
They seemed to balk at first that the Commander was an aftermarket acc.
So far the bike seems to be ok...........time will tell.
Warranty took care of all costs.
I'll be convinced that a new Commander was installed when I open the cover. 

Panzer

Yes, a new Commander was installed.
The bike runs well.
The old Commander had three pins corroded off.
Mystery solved.
Dealer was above board. :up:
We will inspect and grease all connections and won't forget the fuse panel as well.
Thxs all for your input. :beer: