May 04, 2024, 07:55:39 AM

News:

Changing cam gear and end play ???

Started by sandrooney, January 08, 2009, 06:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

How do you change cam gears? I am puting in an EV27 and would like to swap the gears. Also I can't seem to find the cam end play spec in my SM, does anyone know what it is ?
Thanks for the help,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

gofastmoose

I don't think the gear will come off EV27 cam. Some are made that way.
But you can change the crank gear.

ceduby

The book is a little loose I think on the cam end play, (.050) I would set between .005 and .010 and you should be good to go. Other opinions may differ.
Beat it to fit, paint it to match

bigtone

I swapped my cam gear onto my EV27. Not a problem, really you just line it up to the groove. Always seemed kind of hokey to me....

sandrooney

Thanks, Hey bigtone how did you swap them ?
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

Bucket

YOU NEED TO MARK YOUR OLD CAM GEAR GOOD BEFORE YOU PRESS IT OFF. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PRESS I WOULD TAKE IT AND HAVE IT DONE. I SET MY ENDPLAY AT .016. I THINK I HAVE A .060 + THE FACTORY WASHER. HOPE THIS HELPS

ramcr913

HD manual says cam gear end play S/B .001 to .050. Like Ceduby noted, there is lots of tolerance there. I have heard .005 to .010, .025 even, and on and on...
Everyone swears by their numbers, so I suspect there is a lot of room. Me, I get as close to .020 as I can and don't worry about it.
Good luck...

choseneasy

Allow a little bit of room for the nose cone gasket squish also--if you have .001 clearance it could tighten up to no clearance after time.