April 26, 2024, 06:33:12 PM

News:

Fuel line routing

Started by bluehighwayfx, July 18, 2011, 07:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluehighwayfx

:wtf:Strange thing happened to me. I routed the fuel line behind the rear cylinder to avoid some heat. For some reason the carb did not get enough fuel to run the engine. I moved it back between the cylinders and everything is fine. Might help someone to know what won't work anyway.
Killing bugs at high speed since 1978, same shovel, different day.

76shuvlinoff

I would think it would be cooler in front of the front cyl than behind the rear.

Since I added a loose fitting tube over the line between the cyls I have never had a problem. Before that a little too close to one jug or the other on a real hot day would shut her down.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

byob

Perhaps the rerouted line was too low to provide enough fuel pressure. Full tanks can push fuel uphill a bit.

Lew

Inadequate venting or loss of head pressure from the tank, either from a restricted tank screen/filter or from having the fuel filter close to the carb.
I run mine that way and have for yeeaars....

Lew

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

flhs90

OK just about time to install new rubber Gates crossover and Pingle petcock to carb.
I plan to route in front of frame for crossover gas line.
Next I want to run between the cylinders 2 the S and S E carb.
The braided stainless crossover line zi removed was tight between the frame and front cylinder and the petcock line was at the bottom v.
All tips appreciated.
The line has a rating for carbs,
SAE30R14T1
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

Hossamania

June 05, 2022, 02:14:24 PM #5 Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 02:19:18 PM by Hossamania
I originally wrapped my line with another larger diameter piece of hose to protect it from chafing and possibly getting melted a bit from heat.
It now has some corrugated heat resistant wrap around it.
Try to keep it from touching hot motor parts. Also try to keep the line as high as possible, or rather as level as possible going to the carb, the goal is to keep the fuel flowing downhill to the carb, rather than having to rise back up thru a loop in the line.
Keeping the crossover line away from the heat of the motor is also a good idea.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.