April 27, 2024, 09:54:12 AM

News:

rebuilt carb and bike runs terrible

Started by 06roadking, July 20, 2011, 10:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

06roadking

I have an old 1987 883 with a 1200 kit , Vance and Hines pipes. I took the old zenith carb off long time ago and put a carb from a 2001 1200 on it. I did use the 170 slow jet when I installed it. The bike ran great for three years then sat for a year. I got a rebuild kit and cleaned up the carb to get the gum out of it. Reinstalled carb and fresh gas in the tank. The bike was hard starting and every now and then blowing out the intake sometimes flames out the front exhaust pipe. Now it just refuses to start at all. I put new plugs, wires, ignition module and coil on it but no luck.  Still won't fire and run.

Any suggestions for a fix?

Dave

mayor

did you pull out the emulsion tube while changing the main jet? if so, check to make sure you did not install the needle jet upside down. 

what all parts did you switch with the rebuild kit?
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

BONERACIN

Boneracin
"Uncle Sam made me cut off my mullet"

mokeypoole

Quote from: mayor on July 21, 2011, 04:00:39 AM
did you pull out the emulsion tube while changing the main jet? if so, check to make sure you did not install the needle jet upside down. 

INstalled the needle jet upside down on the first carb I rebuilt.  It will give you a fit until you find it.  The tapered side goes up if I remember correctly

mokeypoole

06roadking

I will check the needle jet next time I have the time to work on it.  I sprayed the intake with starting fluid while running to see it there was any performance change from a leaking seal. Everything checked good. I replaced all the needles, float, emulsion tube and the choke cable because it was broke.

I should have sold the damn thing before my son got the bright idea that I needed to get it running for him. Now his master plan is for me to get an ultra so he can have my Road King. Fat chance of that happening! 

1200C_Ian

cyclobutch

Increasingly prevalent misfire on mine was caused by the back of the oil tank sawing through the crank sensor wires.
B
'88 XLH1200

06roadking

I have a new sensor so I will clean the old one and inspect the wires. If I find anything I will change it. Thanks for all the help. It looks like I have quite a bit of work to do.