May 01, 2024, 05:52:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

removing grips

Started by 76shuvlinoff, January 08, 2009, 03:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

Got more than one pair of handlebars around here I'd like to try to save the grips off of.  Anybody have a good method for removing them? I figure it might be possible on the left side but can you get the grip off the throttle assembly? 

I always have used Grip Lock when putting them on, I think it's a 3M product but I don't want to tramp out to the barn to check tonight.

Methods?

thanks
   Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Little Al

I've had pretty good success with patience and a small screwdriver to start pulling the edge slightly away from either the bars or the throttle. Then put a bit of solvent, acetone (nail polish remover), lighter fluid, lacquer thinner, etc. Don't really remember which one works best. I always use something to put them on with, either the little tube of grip stuff that comes with the HD grips or plain old rubber cement, both seem to work equally well to hold them on. 
Little Al

Mule

A small flat piece of flexable steel, Like a broken re-coil spring from a lawnmower, push it in the grip and work the glue bond loose, then take a air blow gun with a small orifice and blow air into the grip as you pull it off...mule...

fulldress79

any or all of above and soak in hot water to soften the rubber.

Rodney_C

try some WD40 , spray it in the end of it if the end has a small opening or pry it up just a little and shoot a couple of shots down it , should loosen up and start to slide down.

rkrcpa

I've had good luck with Hoppe's No.9.

76shuvlinoff

Hey thanks guys, I'll give those a try this weekend, Hot water, WD and Hoppes I got.  I'll check around for some thin flatstock or heavy shim today at work. 

:up:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

hotham

I had and old screwdriver that I ground down and the flat narrow tip and some WD40 takes them off quickly

pappyfreebird

aw fug the quickest easiest is jus use a hacksaw n wack er off at the end  :wink:

dablaze

I just unscrew the set screws and they come right off...don't everybody run those Arlen Ness grips?

:)

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

76shuvlinoff

Just thinkin about something this morning before the coffee wakes me up. The grips I want to save are chrome with rubber inserts, not rubber grips.  I expect that with very much prying I'd wreck em.   Of course they have a soft lining of some kind.

Pappy, I'd hacksaw em but then my arms get too short  :wink:

Doesn't matter, we gained about 6"-8" of scattered flurries in the last 12 hours or so, they're talking maybe 6 more coming. Not enough to stop the world but I think the only bars I'll be hanging on in the near future are rigs with plows and buckets on the front .   
 - Ernest Hemingway

MMOCGuy

I would hesitate to use any sort of oil based lubricant to remove them (i.e. WD-40, etc.) because it will tend to impregnate the rubber and then make it difficult for them to adhere to the next set of handlebars you put them on.

My tried and true method is the method Little Al uses. My preference is a bit of laquer thinner or gasoline. let it dribble down between the grip and the handlebar and then start twisting the grip near the end where the thinner/gas was dribbled in. As the thinner or gasoline softens the rubber, it will break loose from the steel of the handlbar and will loosen. I then dribble a little more in and repeat until the whole grip is loose. It take a bit of patience but works every time. Once the grip is off, let it sit on the bench and the thinner or gasoline will evaporate leaving the inside of the grip like new and ready to go on the next set. By the way, this method also works for the throttle side.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

Rumblefeesh

I don't specifically know if it will work on your specific adhesive, but I would try this:
3M makes a spray solvent, comes with the little tube like carb cleaner for removing weather strip. It breaks down the bond between the rubber and the painted metal. I bet some patient application and repeat twisting muscle would do it. It does not trash weatherstrip, so I don't think it will hurt the grip.

MMOCGuy

OH, I fogot one thing - there is one other substance I use depending on the material of the throttle. I sometimes use just plain rubbing alcohol in the same manner as the thinner or gasoline. Actually any of the three work well.

Sorry for the oversight. Ah, the benefits of being an old guy! :emsad:

Norm.