May 09, 2024, 02:16:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

speedo driving me nuts!

Started by rat44, January 08, 2009, 06:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rat44

01 FLHTC- Speedo started acting erratic about a month ago. I've had it happen before...cleaned the sensor and solved the problem so that's the first thing I tried...no joy. It would work fine for a couple hundred miles, then go nuts again. Replaced the sensor, and it seems even worse. Pulled the fairing and checked and cleaned connection at speedo. Ohmed all three wires back to the sensor plug...they check fine. Still acting goofy intermittently. Could it be the speedo itself? I have a speedometer shop in town, can the Harley speedos be checked and repaired? Any ideas?  :crook:

codyshop

Check your charging system...you may have a bad voltage regulator.  Ray

codyshop

P.S:  Do not go by the voltmeter in the fairing.  Those pieces of crap only tell you if you have voltage, not how much.  Ray

rat44

Thanks Ray. I'll do some checking, but wouldn't I see other symptoms too if it was charging system related?

codyshop

Yeah...the tach might not stay perfectly still at cruise.  Ray

texaskatfish

rat - I'm sure not wishing a failure on you............but when my speedo (2001 FLHR) began acting erratic last year and then eventually quit altogether - cleaning the sensor helped.............for about 50 miles..............then quit completely.

New sensor was the fix - somewheres around $50
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

texaskatfish

Oh CRAP I reckon I can't READ!

I'll be watching to learn what you may be dealing with....................good luck!
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

ULTRADOG

i have had a few 2000 and 01s that the wire was coming apart in the bundle right where it makes the 90 degree turn between the tank and fairing i just ran a new wiree from the sensor to the speedo no more problems on one and this probably isnt a real smart idea i could ride down the interstate reach up and wiggle the bundle of wires and it would act up changed the sensor on that one 3 times so apperently i junked a few good sensors :sink:
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

rhino

my 01 flht did what your talking about, read on the old site about reaching up on right side of tank and moving the main wire bundle, speedo worked. I ohmed all 3 wires they checked out fine. I ran 3 new wires, all shrink wrapped,along the original bundle, soldered them to existing wires coming out of speedo and connector  and my speedo works great

dooseguy

Could be a bearing failure in the transmission.  Drain it and see what comes out.  Happened to my 2003 FXSTDI.