May 08, 2024, 09:28:30 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tire Date Stamp Code - How to decifer?

Started by blk-betty, January 08, 2009, 07:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blk-betty

Purchased a set of Avon Venom X WWWs for wifes 06 Softail Deluxe from one of the larger on-line tire retailers who claim: "....... shop's motorcycle tires are all the newest and all first quality motorcycle tires. They have largest selection of motorcycle tires available on the internet!"

Tires arrived today and look good but I can't remember how to decifer the date stamp.  If I'm looking at it right it looks like one tire was made in 2006 - not the newest as far as I'm concerned and the other tire's date where I see an 06 has a 12 so it couldn't haqve been be made in 2012 which makes me think the 06 doesn't stand for 2006.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

HV

Looking at the DOT # The last three or four digits give the date the tire was made. For all tires built after 1999, this will be a four-digit number with the first two digits giving the week number, and the last two giving the year. For many tires built previous to 2000, the date indicator will consist of three digits, the first two giving the week number and the last giving the last digit of the year. In a example code the last four digits of the DOT code are 4501, so our tire was made during the 45th week of 2001.
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

blk-betty

Thanks HV

I'm such a dumbass.  I didn't even see the DOT #, it is only stamped on one side of the tire and I was looking at a 5 digit number found on both sides.

So what I got is the front 19th week of 2008 and the rear 16th week of 2008.  I'm happy with those numbers.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

tireater

I bought 10 tires on e bay....They were all 4 to 7 years old....No more e bay tires for me...  :down:
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...