May 08, 2024, 07:54:00 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil coolers

Started by Snorth, January 09, 2009, 03:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snorth

Have kind of decided it's time to put an oil cooler on my 06 ultra classic.  Any recommendations on brand or specific items to look for?  Also, one stupid question, will the addition of an oil cooler change how much oil I put in while doing oil changes?

Thanx
Snorth

maineultraclassic

I went with the HD Premium Oil Cooler kit for my bike, it works great. My temps dropped approx. 20-30 degrees and makes hot summer riding much easier on the motor and me.

As far as oil changes, I still do my regular 3.5 qts.........I'd rather be a bit low then add too much for nothing.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

jd8181

i also have the HD Premium Oil Cooler and have had no problems at all.
2003 Night Train 95" SE Pistons, S&S Cams, Hooker's , SERT, etc....
What's Next

tinkerman

January 09, 2009, 04:58:42 AM #3 Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 05:35:09 AM by tinkerman
I put a Jagg slimline on my 88 Heritage as I was heading down across the US and was going to see some 40 C. temps. It was money well spent as in normal riding conditions at 25 degrees C it drops the temp about 20 degrees F.  Ya I know, I am using two diff temp scales. But you get the idea - 20 F is the usual drop in top temp at normal conditions. I would suggest some kind of thermostatic valve which would cut your cooler in only when needed. They are available as a built in unit on some coolers and as a separate unit in other cases.

I don't have a thermostat and I have to keep an eye on the temps to cover or uncover my cooler as required. In cool temps the cooler will actually not let the oil get up to what I figure is a good operationg temp of 180 F. Its no big deal, I just run the cooler covered in the spring and fall and take it off (the cover) for mid season or if I am heading somewhere hotter than it is here in the NE.

Tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

RoadKingTrooper

Went with the HD premium, it has the thermostat. Seems to work fine.

RKT

96dynabagger

at the other end of the spectrum, I went to eBay and got a thermostatic valve, old Honda cooler and installed
it for about $50 complete.   Not all shiny, but works great pulling a trailer in 100 degree heat. 

CraigArizona85248

I use an old Ford power steering cooler from the 60's.  Cost $0.  Braided lines cost ~$25.  It isn't sexy, but it works well.

odotb

For some reason my 07 FLTR seems to need a little less oil, to fill, after I installed the HD cooler. About 3 1/3 quarts.

PosseRider

I made my crash guard into a cooler.
PosseRider
Vandalia,Ohio

PanHeadRed

>Any recommendations on brand or specific items to look for?<

ABSOLUTELY!  :teeth:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__CHROME-BILLET-OIL-COOLER-2-COOL-FOR-HARLEY-W-CLAMPS_W0QQitemZ120334119976QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2863QQddiZ2811QQadnZMotorcycleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item120334119976&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A64%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

JamLazyAss

I have a couple of old oil coolers that have been sitting around for years.
Can I use one if I flush it out with solvent?
Are there any reasons not to?
:pop:
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

takwolf

Craig, I have one of those coolers on a BSA. Haven't seen another one in years. They do work well.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: JamLazyAss on January 11, 2009, 11:14:45 AM
I have a couple of old oil coolers that have been sitting around for years.
Can I use one if I flush it out with solvent?
Are there any reasons not to?

No reason not to.  Just make sure they are cleaned out real well.

-Craig