May 04, 2024, 10:15:46 AM

News:

Cam gear whine.

Started by sandrooney, January 09, 2009, 03:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

Am I likley to get gear whine if I just use the gear that comes on the EV 27 ???
Thanks,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

wfolarry

Andrews gears are red. Look at your pinion gear & there should be a spot of paint on there. This is your color code. You can then look in your service manual to see how it compares. If you're off by 1 up or down you shouldn't have any problems. More than that you might want to consider having the cam gears swapped or replacing the pinion. Cheaper to swap gears. :wink:

rdkng

As always, what WFO says is right on. 
(I've done 5-6 cam swaps and havent had gear whine)
rdkng
Happy Motoring, Road King George

sandrooney

January 09, 2009, 05:59:12 AM #3 Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:02:23 AM by sandrooney
Thanks Guys, My cam gear is white, didn't see any mark on pinon.  If you are meaning where it falls on the list ,white is 2 up from red.
Thanks,
SR

stroker800

You have too measure across the cam gear at 3 and 9 oclock with .106 pins,,,then cross reference the measurement with a list of pinion gears.
Dave

Reddog74usa

The other option is to press the gear off the stock cam and press it on the Andrews cam. I use a piece of square stock that fits into the notch on the back of the cam gear and mark the gear with a scribe. Then press the old cam gear on the new cam but make dam sure you line the scribe marks up with the notch in the cam.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

sandrooney

I measured the new gear and it is right on.
Thanks for the help,
SR

JohnS_Rosamond

I would say that generally, when using an aftermarket cam (with an aftermarket gear), you're more likely to get a loose fit rather than a too tight fit (though technically I suppose both are possible).  If you get a loose fit, you will get a clatter tha sounds just like lifter noise, but it's the lash of the gear teeth.  If you get a gear whine, the fit is too tight and you're likely to get extra wear in the gear cover.  But I agree that I would rather have a matched set of gears than two that are "close".

John S,

sandrooney

My wife's shovelhead always whined from the cam gears, but never seemed to hurt anything, just noisey.
Thanks for the help,
SR