May 04, 2024, 11:01:49 AM

News:

Internal wiring

Started by JTFXSTC, January 09, 2009, 07:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTFXSTC

I want hide the switch wires in the stock bars on my 07 FXSTC. What is the best way to do this? I know I will have to drill the bars. Should I cut the wires and solder back together or can I remove the gas tank and pull the wires from the connector and then reinstall them in the connector after I run them through the bars. I have never had the tank off so I'm not sure what the connector looks like or where it is. I buried the wires on my old FXR but I had to cut the wires as I put taller bars on when I did this. I would rather not have to cut and solder again.

ULTRADOG

look in a cci book there is a wiring kit to add length i used one on my apes and all the colors where perfect i think the kit was 75 bucks 3 yrs ago but the cleanest way to do it
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

HDDOC

Your 07 has molex connectors and is easy to remove them from the plug. Make a color map to were they go in the socket and remove  install the wires into handle  bars and reconnect useing the color map.  Doc
2019 Tri Glide

KumaRide

Just installed Heritage bars on my Fatboy and wired internal. I did not have to remove the tank but slide it back a few inches, just enough to expose the connector on each side of the frame. When you slide the tank back, put a piece of cardboard on top of the rockers boxes so you dont scratch anything. To remove the wires form the plug first pull out the center cap, then press each tab for each wire and pull from connector. Its not that hard, just a little time consuming. Also, draw a schematic of where each wire goes. I also took a picture of each connector just in case.

JTFXSTC

Thanks for the replies. If I were to go with taller bars how tall could I go without changing cables and needing wiring extentions(12in or 14in). I believe the stock fxstc bars have 10in rise. Maybe the same as a Dyna Wide Glide.

KumaRide

Call a dealer and ask. FB bars were only a few inches tal so I could put Heritage bars or Wide Glide bars on Mini Apes ~10". Any taller and it gets expensive with cables, wiring harness, brake line... and a lot more work. You could pull the tank back to see how much extra wiring you have.

waskier01

The deutsch connector is easily disassembled, and extremely easy to re-assemble wrong. Each location on the connector is also numbered. So make a map and a chart and a drawing.  Anything you can think of to ensure it goes back together the same as it came apart.  check the back of the connector that's part of the wiring harness, this will also give you another informative source of proper wire locations.