May 09, 2024, 12:59:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TTS closed loop conversion to a '04 touring, need a starting cal

Started by Thumper Buttercup, August 03, 2011, 03:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayor

OK, here's what I saw:
throttle's going up, ve's going down, but there's also a high amount of timing being ran at 70 kpa....so this one's a toss up

throttle's going up, ve's had a huge drop....also open loop occured in this area...I'd try increasing the ve's

this is an area that should be firmly in closed loop..this one is likely timing....but if it were me I would adjust ve's too.   :teeth:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

mayor

I attached two cals for you to try, -038 is modified based on the above info and -039 is -038 with the ve's reduced where I suspected the ve's were too high on the front at 25-100% tps at 2,500 and 2,750.  I'll be curious to see if the milage doesn't improve, and if the knock retard remains in active (meaning not lean). 

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Thumper Buttercup

Sounds like a plan for Friday and Saturday,

Kim and I were looking at that data and trying to figure out what happened the
first time, we had a semi coming out on our right with all the traffic in the right
lane, we moved over ( I hate being near a semi ) and I was giving it a little more
throttle, well he speeds up and looks at us like he was going to do a squeeze play,
and that was when I hit it hard to get in front of him.

Let's just say I was very motivated at the time.  Thanks Mike.
04 Ultra, 95 Cu, 48N, Larry's Heads TTS

wolf_59

What effect would the Intake Air Temp have on the tune ? Fuel economy?
I was looking at your data runs yesterday and notice that your IAT are really low compared to what mine run for comparison engine temp 253* my IAT is usually in the 120* range the lowest I have seen was at 40* outside and engine temps 217* and IAT 100*
where i see your IAT stays in 80-90* range with engine temps in the 230-260*
Just thinking out loud again

Thumper Buttercup

Hey wolf,

I'm running an open filter "Exotic" with no cover and it's a big one trying to
get better air to the engine, that could be causing some of it.

If you look at some of my older runs on the hot days we do get some heat
still.  My question on the knocking was that our morning started cooler 60 degrees
and we had no knocking and it warmed up in the afternoon and the then we did
have some knocking.

Thumper Buttercup

We'll, Kim did not feel well but wanted to ride anyway so we did things
a bit differently.  We put in 102 miles but the data locked up a few miles
short of our run.  I went with the 039 cal Mike, looks like it did good, now
we were riding in some wind and we kept the bike under 3000 rpms
except where we romped on it trying to induce a knock.

We used 2.67 gal in the 102 miles so we averaged 38.2 mpg.  No real surprises
in the graphs to me.  I tried to duplicate our run a couple times where we
knocked yesterday but did not happen.  So far so good.

ScanData 016
http://www.box.net/shared/21p3s6dzydzzogoaysgu

Steve Cole

So your still getting out and riding the bike and it's running pretty well. Are we having fun yet?
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

wolf_59

:up: nice looking filter setup, I was running the SE filter with the stock football cover and switched back to the stock setup never seen much difference in the IAT from one to another, interesting that there is that much difference in IAT with your setup. I'm just keeping an eye on this thread to see how everything works out there has been a lot of useful information being shared
I'm a little slow still was thinking on the fuel milage issue

Thumper Buttercup

Quote from: Steve Cole on October 12, 2011, 03:37:53 PM
So your still getting out and riding the bike and it's running pretty well. Are we having fun yet?

We'll I did have the radio cranked today and would peak at the monitor to make sure
I was still getting data every now and then.  Felt good to look at the data and not find
a knock.

Feel like we are getting close.

mayor

I was talking to one of our pro's offline, and he suggested trying less timing to see if that doesn't help with milage.  This makes sense, since you're running hi rates of timing and the milage isn't really coming around.  I'm actually am running less timing in my 48 bike, so I copied the timing that I'm running onto cal -039.   try cal-040 when you get a chance. 

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Thumper Buttercup

Quote from: mayor on October 12, 2011, 06:22:03 PM
I was talking to one of our pro's offline, and he suggested trying less timing to see if that doesn't help with milage.  This makes sense, since you're running hi rates of timing and the milage isn't really coming around.  I'm actually am running less timing in my 48 bike, so I copied the timing that I'm running onto cal -039.   try cal-040 when you get a chance.

Sound good to me, I just told Kim she has to ride again and got my manhood threatened :doh:.
Looks like Sunday or so for us, this will be a 55 degree day.   Once more into the breach.

Thumper Buttercup

Hey Mike,

Should this be a data run or should I Vtune again??

mayor

just go for a ride, no computer....see if milage changes...if it does, then we will regroup from there.  Report back on engine smoothness (as felt in floorboards, etc.), and throttle response too

Thumper Buttercup

We'll,

My dead weight test dummy did not feel well :hyst:, so I took off by myself
today for the ride.  I know you said no computer but I wanted to know what
was going on.

Beautiful day in the upper 50's with light wind.  I did 141.7 miles 3.4 gal for 41.67 mpg.
Not bad for being alone on the bike and running 65 mph most of the time.

I did get a couple hits the first ride today just two degrees on the front.

Bike ran smooth all day no problems.

Scan 17

Scan 18

DataLogs are 17 & 18 here.
http://www.box.net/shared/e80jmspdy0c3o0i79nbx

Steve Cole

If Kim is willing and you can do a similar type ride with her in similar conditions and log the data on the same calibration. Then compare the two runs and see where and how much things change. This may give you some help in chasing better mileage and pinging on your combination.

One thing for sure is you are now hooked on wanting to see what is really going on with your bike and understand why things do what they do. Now look back at what you did before all this on your bike.

Thumper Buttercup

There is so much there, that I find myself looking back at the runs
and thinking of what I was doing and what the bike did doing it.

I had two lockups today and just stopped the bike and turned on my
trackball and hit stop and start and it took off again with no problems.

I've got my old SERT hookup and want to use that cable and see if
I can get it though the hole in the trunk.  That way the whole system
is hardwired into the bike and ready to use.

This weekend we are supposed to hit 55 if the winds are light we will
run this again and see what we get for data.

The VA did a procedure on the 19th last month on Kim and screwed her
up, it's still messing with her but she is feeling better tonight.  We'll
get there.

Still a lot to learn on this for me, Mike did good with the changes he
did.

Steve Cole

Yes, it's a lot of data to look through but what your looking for is to see what changes Kim adds to the running of the bike. Mainly look at the RPM ranges you operate in along with the TPS and MAP values. This will give you and idea of how additional load is going to effect the bike. If you had the trailer handy that would be a great test to run if Kim not up to it.