April 27, 2024, 02:31:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

knuckle valve seals

Started by vern, August 05, 2011, 07:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vern

I'm working on a knuck right now and the guides that I recieved from Vtwin have such a large top on them that they won't take a seal. the HD book does not show seals nore does the parts books do I have to machine the guides or just forget about the seals?

jimlibo

knucks never had valve stem seals

vern

I'm getting the local machine shop to cut the new guides to accept seals, man these heads are labour intensive.

prodrag1320

just curious,does your customer know that you have no clue when it comes to knucks? be carefull not to mess them up too bad as replacements are far & few between

vern

You are right I've never done a knuckle head top end, but the heads went together reasonably well, will they leak, most likley, but the guides and seals, rings and cylinders and pistons also went well. I am going to flash it up tomorrow morning. I'll take a pic and let you know how it went.

prodrag1320

their not rocket science by any means,put do take alittle different techniques than other heads,im sure it`ll be fine

vern

I fired up the knuckle yesterday and it ran fine, I was surprised that there were no leaks but time is the test. And there was no blue smoke from the exhaust like before so I am very happy about the way it turned out. But I spent 19 hours on the top end rings to seals no mistakes and no time waisting , they are very labour intensive. Pics to come.

vern

pics of Knuckle head. these are V-Twin and S&S engines that we buy and build bikes around.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

vern

more pics

vern

can't seem to get all the pics on one post

jimlibo

So in essence, this not a REAL Knucklehead you're working on? A rebop? Just curious.

vern

Yes they are reproductions of the original, same castings, same parts, same oil leaks. can't really tell the diff.
Yes the same shitty design, But people love them. I love Shovelheads!

ricochet

I love looking at any knuckle engine but I must say... you don't usually see them that clean and aluminum colored. :teeth:

I just saw this string and although I haven't used it yet I had bought a guide cutter from Goodson's I think, quite a while ago to do just what you were needing.  It's a piloted cutter to do the od of the guide for seals.  Use with a drill or probably even by hand.

ricochet

vern

the shop that did the valves had a jig and used a hand drill. when I flashed it up it ran like a top and didn't leak a drop, but after a short ride it was puking oil out of every crack and cranny. As it turn out the last guy that worked on the bike ran a stupid set of metal oil lines to the filter, they are kinked or flattened. I ran the oil straight to the tank and presto the oil stopped leaking and it looks pretty good with out a puddle of oil under it.

War Horse

Just wondering out loud here , but did they update the bottom end with Timkens or is it still the roller bottom (left side) ?  :nix:
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

vern

big splined shaft, timken bearings, alt or gen. electronic ignition. newer spark plugs, and Super E carb

War Horse

Thanks Vern, thats a big improvement over stock.....  :up:
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory