May 04, 2024, 07:38:17 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Intake manifold alignment

Started by rawshog, January 09, 2009, 12:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawshog

Can the intake manifold be done without the HD tool?

02roadcling

02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

fuzznut5197

There is a tool? What does it align?

rawshog

Are there any tips etc. for doing it without the tool?

Jeffd

I like the tool as it is cheap and very easy to use and gets it exact but you can also just use the backing plate to get it lined up.  tool is part #40054-01

02FYRFTR

Quote from: Jeffd on January 09, 2009, 01:09:45 PM
I like the tool as it is cheap and very easy to use and gets it exact but you can also just use the backing plate to get it lined up.  tool is part #40054-01
:up: :up: :up:

les

Yes, it can and is done without the tool.  What you do is to lube up the intake gaskets (using whatever lube you prefer...dish soap, etc.) and assemble everything but not tight.  Assemble all the way out to the air filter backing plate including the breather bolts into the heads.  Slowly...tighten down the intake manafold bolts wiggling slightly as you do to assure that the gasket does not get bound and seats just in its natural place.  After the intake manafold is totally tight this means that it's been tightened down in the position that it should be.  Then you can take off the air filter backing plate and get in there to make any connections you need to and finish up.  Then when you put the backing plate back on the carb or EFI should be in perfect alignment without having to torque and twist on those intake gaskets.

So...basically you're using your bikes parts as an alignment tool.  The alignment tool simply mimics what I said above but the tool is nicer because it gives you more room to work.

FSG

Refer HarleyTechTalk > Documents & FAQ's > Instruction Sheets that have been found > HD > Instructions > Instruction Sheets

J01329  40054-01, INDUCTION SYSTEM ALIGNMENT BRACKET KIT

smoserx1

The one and only time I had mine off to change seals I used the tool.  I aligned the manifold using the tool and partially tightened the left side bolts (enough to keep the manifold in place), the removed the tool & partially tightened the right side bolts, and then did final tightening on both sides.  I still don't see how it is possible to get to the right side bolts with either the tool or the backing plate in place, so for the way I did it, the backing plate would have worked just as well as the tool.  Maybe some of you can get to the right side bolts with the tool or backing plate installed, but it looks like you would need a "snake" wrench to so it.  BTW, I replaced the left side bolts with regular grade 8 hex bolts, instead of Allen heads.  It is going to make it a lot easier next time.

tireater

I used an angle finder on the breather area and T.B. opening...It seems to work good...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

AllanW

Quote from: tireater on January 09, 2009, 03:31:53 PM
I used an angle finder on the breather area and T.B. opening...It seems to work good...
:up:

rawshog

Angle Finder?  Explain please?

AllanW

Place the angle finder on the flat surface where the head breathes, note the angle and then place the angle finder on the mouth of the intake and find the same angle and tighten the intake evenly. Works for me...

Allan