May 03, 2024, 11:28:44 PM

News:

Best rockerbox base gaskets?

Started by harleytoprock, January 09, 2009, 05:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytoprock

Can you guys recommend a good gasket for the the rockerbox bases? Has Harley superceded to anything good? Thanks

darrelbarrows

I have found cometic to be the best in my opionion. I have never had any problems using these on my bike or on others..

ClassicRider2002

January 09, 2009, 11:26:49 PM #2 Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:29:42 PM by ClassicRider2002
ummmmmm

you might want to check out the "FXR RELATED TOPICAL INDEX" above. 

All of your questions about which gaskets to use have been addressed within a couple of THREADS there......

Don't worry that you don't own an FXR.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

JohnS_Rosamond

The "tin" gaskets seem to work best.  Cometic is good, and I also like the James gasket product.  However, in this application, I always use a little blue hylomar to coat the gasket just before I install the gasket in place.  It seals up any small imperfections.
John S

gaillarry

Is hoylmar still available?  I've been using aviation gasket cement, but would prefer hoylmar.  NAPA dealer tells me its been discontinued.
1992 Heritage Softail Classic
Ontario, Canada

Buddy WMC

I like John like the Cometic steel base gaskets, but use the HD rubbers as they seem to fit better. Next time I have my rocker boxes off, I'm going to try the Cometic steel base gaskets along with the S&S rubbers. I've never had to use a sealer, but some of the other members are religious about it. I hate having to clean gasket residue off a surface as it just adds more time to a job. Good luck with your choice.

92Fatty

I went to dealer and picked up a set for a 92 softail and the rubber fit perfectly. When i pulled it apart it had the paper gaskets with rubber for the grooves nearly 40k on those so that is ok in my book.No leaks so far. 2 oil changes.

harleytoprock

Guys, Thank you all for your replies. I just picked up a set of the latest revised Harley rocker base gaskets and they look very promising. They look to be a rubber coated tin but unlike the black, embossed cometic, they are like a red oxide color with  raised rubber ribs that run around the gasket surfaces. They are one piece and are the same construction as the latest revised twin cam rocker base gaskets which I have good luck with. I still may give them a light coat of hylomar just to be safe. If any one is interested the part number is 16800-84A. This same gasket is still used on the sportsters, so i guess thats why Harley revised to a better gasket. Later.

Flat Dog

The Permatex spray copper sealant has been working well for me instead of AV or Hylomar. Used a cometic top end kit.

JohnS_Rosamond

Hylomar is still available, but you can't get it from permatex anymore.  Check the internet for "Universal blue".  The thing about hylomar is that it doesn't leave a hard residue that you have to scrape.  When I pull off a base gasket, it just lifts off as one piece, then I use a little carb cleaner on a rag and wipe the surface. Done!  I haven't ever had it so good with any other sealer.

darrelbarrows

I just picked up a tube off of amazon.com for about 15 bucks with shipping..

Scooter1-2putt

Everyones favorite tool supply Harbor Freight, :wtf: has Hylomar in a small tube (2 to 4 oz.I can't remember right now) for $3.00.
Z

darrelbarrows

the tube from harbor freight is 35 mL which is a little over an ounce.