May 09, 2024, 06:17:43 AM

News:

Vintage FL wheel sizes

Started by surf, January 09, 2009, 07:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surf

Can someone tell me what size wheels were on Knuckleheads, Panheads, and Shovelheads?
I'm thinking of mounting an early style hinged rear fender on a custom bike and would want to match the fender size to wheel size.....Thanks

CraigArizona85248

Surf,

Panheads and shovelheads all came with 16" wheels.  The knuckles had 18" wheels standard until 1940.  1941 and after had 16" wheels as standard equipment.  There was a period of time when you could order the knuck with either 16" or 18" wheels.  They used the same fenders for both.  So you don't need to worry about either wheel fitting under the fenders of a knuck.  For that matter, you should be able to run a 18" wheel on a pan or shovel too.  The overall height of the 18" wheel/tire is about the same as the 16" because the 16" tire is a lot taller in the sidewall.

-Craig

surf

Thanks Craig, I was concerned about mounting one of those fenders over a 16" wheel and having the wheel look to small.

CraigArizona85248

I hear ya surf.  I'm real picky about that sort of thing too.  The stock FL fenders have a big "skirt" all the way around, so you won't seen any gap between the tire and fender.

-Craig