May 08, 2024, 09:32:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Starting problem '99 XL

Started by War Horse, August 13, 2011, 12:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

War Horse

August 13, 2011, 12:40:28 PM Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:20:48 PM by War Horse
1999 1200XL, came in with weak to no spark condition, replaced coil. It now fires but most times the starter needs to be hit 4-6 times in short bursts to start, some times will start immediately 4-6 times and then go into a short burst routine again. If you hold the starter button the motor doesnt even fart.

Once its running it runs great and has no cut off problems. I'm thinking the ignition pickup/control unit ?

This is not my bike and I don't have a shop manual for it, don't do much on sporty's here.

Also if it needs the ign. unit, whats involved with replacement, the wire seems to shoot into the cam cover?

If anyone can help out or has had a similar problem, I could use the input, thanks. Tom

Oops, forgot its got a carburetor....
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

War Horse

Man 11 views and no clues yet, this is why I tend to stick with big twins, not that I dont have head scratchers with them on occasion...But..  :scratch:

Talking to another tech yesterday, both of us fairly enibriated at the time, made mention of a VEU or VUE sensor ???  :wtf:

PC_Hater

Check the earth wire from the battery to the frame.
They are renowned for becoming corroded...
Stranded me in France that one did. Terrible. Had to sit and drink wine and eat good food while a new earth cable was installed.
It could be other things of course,  but that earth lead is well worth checking.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

hdbikedoc

check voltage at battery when cranking over,if below 10 vdc ignition won't fire. Ign moduel and pick up is one unit inside nosecone ,to replace unplug under engine  (behind clutch) remove wires from plug and pull through and replace ,if battery drops below 10 volts during cranking I suspect its bad
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

War Horse

Thank you both for the replies, PC_hater, I will check for bad grounds , it's usually one of the things I do, but this time with a no/weak spark condition, I dropped the ball and forgot my own advice of "Keep It Simple Stupid".

hdbikedoc, battery is holding fine under load 11.4+, but thanks for the advice on the R&R, I had this thing on the ground and couldn't really look under there, when he brings it back we'll put it on the lift.