April 30, 2024, 02:56:50 PM

News:

100 HP Pan Head

Started by Reddog74usa, August 14, 2011, 05:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

I would like to build a reliable 100 HP Pan Head in stock cases so I can retain the original vin#. I'm thinkin STD heads and a stroker kit. Has anybody done this? This may be my last build and I would like it to be a Pan if I can do it. I figure it may be a bit pricey but there's somthin about blowin by the new bikes on old iron  :wink:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

turboprop

100 horse from a pan head, stock cases? Assuming you won't bore the cases, that means its a stroker engine.  I had an 89" pan years ago, STD dual plug heads done by Pete Hill in SC. Had all the good stuff for the day, never had it on the dyno but my guess is it didn't make a 100. Of course this was with points and 32" 1.75" drag pipes. With modern day ignition and exhaust, maybe.

OEM pan cases are notoriously weak. If you were open to the idea of aftermarket cases, you could run a set of Delkron cone style shovel cases with pan heads, could go real large and be strong. Most current harley owners will not/could not tell the difference between a nose cone and flat side. Loose the distributor, the added gears just another point of slop to the ignition timing.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

panjs

I'd be concerned about putting that much stress through old metal.
If the engine is run easily it might be OK but at 100 HP that's not likely to be the norm.

prodrag1320

we`ve built alot of big HP/big inch pans & shovels over the years.as long as their timken cases (and you dont mind boring them) 100 hp is well within reach

ricochet

I'm probably one if not the last to get a gen/alt case for big bore from STD before they went under.  +.5 on deck height for strength and made to order.  Can't you still special order a gen/alt case from S & S?

ricochet

prodrag1320

Hillside Motorcycle

I'd be spooked heading in the triple digit land with 50 year old cases.
No doubt that 100 hp is certainly achieveable, as we have been there with Shovels, with the proper combination, but the reliabilty of not only the OEM cases, but the rest of the bike, trans, etc. shows up after a period of time.
Contantly wrenching on it. :cry:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

turboprop

Quote from: ricochet on August 17, 2011, 11:28:59 AM
I'm probably one if not the last to get a gen/alt case for big bore from STD before they went under.  +.5 on deck height for strength and made to order.  Can't you still special order a gen/alt case from S & S?

ricochet

Billy at Spyke has brought STD back. Billy has lots of left over inventory from STD, to include heads and cases.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

HogMike

Quote from: Hillsidecyclecom on August 17, 2011, 05:27:43 PM
I'd be spooked heading in the triple digit land with 50 year old cases.
No doubt that 100 hp is certainly achieveable, as we have been there with Shovels, with the proper combination, but the reliabilty of not only the OEM cases, but the rest of the bike, trans, etc. shows up after a period of time.
Contantly wrenching on it. :cry:
Scott

:agree: :agree:
Been there, done that, heads that are "race only", big cam, broken frame, broken trans mount (and trans case), broken sprockets, etc, etc.
Takes way too long to get the pan back to stock, and more $$$$ than to make 100 HP.
JMHO, and my experiences over the years.
:smiled:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Reddog74usa

Thanks for the replies. It was just a thought as it sure would be kool to give the new scoots a run for the money. It just doesn't seem logical as it would cost to much and be a pain in the arse to keep on the road. Also nice original cases are getting hard to come by and would hate to destroy a set.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT