May 09, 2024, 01:40:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

? on 2006 heads

Started by jazzman713, January 09, 2009, 09:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazzman713

im getting ready to put in the new style cams andrews 21.i have been told that these heads flow much better than the yrs past the person doing the work for me said that he could clean them up for me for 190 my? is is it worth having this done or save the money for the 95"
thanks

HarleyCharley

If the heads are in good shape, just put them on. I used stock '06 heads on my '02 ultra with 26g's and she runs great. You should have real good torque with the 21's. Good luck.

Charley

Jeffd

for $190 have him clean them up.

Clintster

Do the heads when you do the 95.  Or if you aren't pleased with performance from just the cams, do it then.  I would have ride it with just the cam upgrade to a real guage what to what just a drop in improvement nets you.  I guess unless the heads are off already.
Drive fast, take chances

Jeffd

The way I read the post the person who is doing the work is going to do the work for $190 and if that is the case I think it is crazy not to do it even if staying 88.  Look at what Baggerslimm did with his 88/head work and 21's.

jazzman713

what did baggerslim do with his 88?

Jeffd

seventhson

I went with Andrews 26G's and a set of dealer take-off 06 heads on my 05 FXST.
Have always been very happy with the choice. Only problem is I really can't tell
you which mod (cams or heads) made the biggest diff.
Mark
It's better to burn out than fade away!!

Clintster

Couple of years back Dewey of Deweys Heads, the guy who worked the company before Don.  He did a little work to those heads for a member here, just very little, I forget the particulars.  But the the member did the recipe as Dewey suggested and again I forget the particulars, but the motor was damned near at or above the 100/100 mark. 
Drive fast, take chances

ClassicRider2002

January 11, 2009, 07:16:00 AM #9 Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 07:27:59 AM by ClassicRider2002
im getting ready to put in the new style cams andrews 21.i have been told that these heads flow much better than the yrs past the person doing the work for me said that he could clean them up for me for 190 my? is is it worth having this done or save the money for the 95"  thanks

V-Twin Tech with Joe
Joe Minton
American Rider 

Interesting Q/A:

Q I have a 2006 Ultra Classic with 25,000 miles. Unfortunately I had the Screaminââ,¬â,,¢ Eagle 95-inch conversion done before taking delivery from the dealer. I could have had your conversion done at a lower cost with better results. In an effort to get some extra midrange torque, Iââ,¬â,,¢m going to change the cams. Should I use the Andrews TW21 with the rest of the SE kit that I already have to achieve my goal?

By the way, I have the stock header pipe with Rinehart Slip-On Mufflers and the Harley Race Tuner installed. Do you think installing SE or any performance heads will do anything for me in the low end or midrange with the rest of this configuration?

D. Miller
Foxboro, Massachusetts

A I strongly recommend the Andrews TW21 cam set. It begins to make more useful power at a lower engine speed than any other Andrews offering. It is an excellent match for the needs of a touring bike. The Andrews EV13 or 21 cams are the only Andrews cams I recommend for touring engines. Intake-valve closing angles determine the rpm at which an engine begins to do its most useful work. These cams feature early intake-valve closing angles and have proven themselves in the field.
In my testing, the best midrange slip-on mufflers available are those produced by SuperTrapp, under the Kerker name, specifically, the ones sold for use with the Mikuni carburetor. They feature the performance baffle. These mufflers make more mid-rpm power than any others we have tested. The design goes back to research done by the British around 1911.  Ported heads, SE or otherwise, have no discernable effect below 5,000 rpm. They would be a waste of money.

Well at least according to Joe Minton you now have your answer.......and according to Mark...above, "......I went with Andrews 26G's and a set of dealer take-off 06 heads on my 05 FXST.  Have always been very happy with the choice. Only problem is I really can't tell you which mod (cams or heads) made the biggest diff......." he couldn't tell any "disernable difference" as to where his increase was attributed too as well.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

January 11, 2009, 10:14:22 AM #10 Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:00:20 PM by ClassicRider2002
i have made up my mind after alot of ? and reading on this 88" road king. im going to stay with the 88" until i need to go 95" im going to have the 06 heads cleaned up - new andrews 21n cams iol pump kit-zippers air-s/e race tuner - s/e pushrods - stock head pipes with x over and hight performance slip ons off ebay and 3.37 gearing.  is there any thing i should add to this at this time to help out? the bike has around 6500 miles on it. any one have an idea what kind on # this might make?

Seems to me that there is some good carry over between these two discussions for others to read as well, thus if so motivated Simply, CLICK, VIEW, & READ:
88" Work

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2