Belt Tension Tester Tool...useful or a waste of money ?

Started by DarrellV, January 10, 2009, 04:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrellV

HD Belt Tensioner Tool. Are they worth the money, user friendly? Or a waste, never use one anyway?

Princess Butt

I have one but never use it. I just grasp the belt and twist it, it should go to a 45 degree angle.

I've been using this method for 75,000 miles on my '97 Road King, and it works fine. You can use the tension gauge if you want.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

tinkerman

When I bought the Heritage it was second hand and the guy gave me one of those gauges. I tossed it in the drawer with the rest of my measuring gear and haven't really used it. Not that I wouldn't but I have always checked chain tension on gear by estimating deflection at a certain point with a certain weight on the chain at that point so for me it's natural to do it that way.

Nothing wrong with them, they take the guess work out of things if you haven't developed another way of doing it.

As for measuring belt deflection, I find it a pita anyway. You really need two people to do it. One to sit on the bike and compress the suspension and the other person doing the deflection test. Not a whole lot of room in around there on the Heritage and all in all it is a bit of a nuisance.

To early in the morning... I'm rambling

Tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

hdpegscraper

PN: 40006-85 Belt tension tool.  Zanoties, and Chicago HD both have them for under $25.

Memnar

I also bought one 4 years ago, used it once. Not needed again since.
Albuquerque, NM.

Jeffd

I use mine, when the belt is properly tensioned using the tool it is much tighter than you think it should be.  I know when my belt is tensioned to recommended amount you can not twist it 45 degrees.  A factory engineer (not a tech but actuall designer) in sturgis a couple of years ago told me that the belts were designed to run very tight and to be properly tensioned felt tightet than you would think they should be.  I have 65,000 of hard running on my bagger with no problems Knock on wood.

02roadcling

I bought the tool after a dealer "helped" me break a belt and argued it was tight enough when it was new. No problems since and I try to pop wheelies regularly.
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

Gonzo

I use mine, since I shelled a tranny because of over-tightening my drive belt.
But then again, thats how I justified the new 6 speed to my wife :wink:

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

kevinj

How tight does a belt have to be? My workshop manual states 1/4inch deflection (I ride a tuned 2004 XL1200), but that does seem really tight to me.

truck

Quote from: sslbkevin on January 10, 2009, 09:16:19 AM
How tight does a belt have to be? My workshop manual states 1/4inch deflection (I ride a tuned 2004 XL1200), but that does seem really tight to me.

It tightens up more when things get hot from riding.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Jeffd

Quote from: sslbkevin on January 10, 2009, 09:16:19 AM

The engineer told me that to be right it seems too tight.

HogBob

I use mine about once a year just to confirm that the ajustment is OK. Since you are supposed to check belt tension with rider onboard, its a PITA any way you choose. I run the bike up on the lift aat ground level, sit on it with tiedowns at the rear and pull them down so the rear suspension is at normal height with my weight. Then its easy to use the tool to check belt tension. Then unload the suspension and mark the belt tension limit with a paint line on the belt guard. You can then check your belt by pushing upward to the paint mark and/or using the 45% twist. Pushing 100,000 on my Ultra with a lot of two up touring and pulling a trailer with no belt problems (yet!!??)

Bob

Milehog

The suspension dosen't have to be loaded. It's easier to check with the bike on a jack. And yes, the belt does seem too tight when adjusted to spec.
Proud IBA member

truck

I tried loading the suspension before checking the defliction and then I checked it unloaded.....no difference.....2001 FLH.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Scooterfish

I have used the 45 degree twist method. I have also heard but not tried.That after a good long ride as soon as you stop to feel the teeth on the rear pully, they should be warm to touch, if they are hot belt is to tight.
Northern Indiana