April 27, 2024, 04:40:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

03 Ultra 95" build, tuning and compression questions

Started by flht99b, November 04, 2008, 05:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flht99b

In 3 weeks I'll be tearing into my '03 Ultra to install a HD 95" big bore kit ( cast flat top pistons ), Andrews TW26A cams, '06 heads with a street performance valve job AND .020" milled off, Cometic .030" head gaskets and HD perfect fit -.030" pushrods. Bike currently has an HD stage 1 download in ECM, S&S SPO mufflers ( standard baffle ), Air Scream air cleaner assembly ( similiar to SE and Big Sucker ) and a PC III usb.
I do not know the exact CC of the heads after the .020" cut but assume they are in the 82 to 83CC range which should equate to a 9.3 to 9.5 static compression ratio based on the new 95" pistons being about .005 down in the cylinder.  Just guessing now until I have bike apart.
My questions are:
1. Have I built in too much compression for the Andrews TW26A cams by removing .020" from heads ?? Would I be better off with a Cometic .040" head gasket ??
2. Should I have bike tuned with the PC III usb and the original stage 1 ECM download OR, have a stage 2 ECM download done and then fine tune with the PC III usb.
3. I have 2 - stage 2 Touring 1550cc ECM download cartidges, one is P/N 32846-02B and the other is P/N 32846-02A. Does anyone know the difference between the 2 maps and if so, what would be the better one to start with assuming I have the ECM reflashed ??
Primary use of bike is 1 and 2 up in the hills of eastern TN.
TIA for any and all help.
Ed M.

maineultraclassic

The HD downloads are useless, the PCIII will do all the tuning you need.

9.5:1 is about the max I would go with Andrews 26s. The only way to know for sure what your CR will be is to have your chambers CC'ed before the milling, then using a Cometic .030 head gasket, you can set the chambers to get the desired CR. You also have to measure your deck height to see if you are positive or negative.........that has an effect on the CR also.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB