May 08, 2024, 09:38:13 PM

News:

Power source in UC fairing

Started by Yukon, January 10, 2009, 06:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yukon

I have a 2009 UC tucked away and unaccessable for the winter and need to know if you can plug in a 12v. accessory cord into the cig. lighter in the fairing? My memory tells me its too close to the tank and would hit when the bars are turned left. I would like to plug in a GPS and/ or charge a phone or camera battery while travelling. If it won't work how are people getting temp. 12v. at the fairing while travelling?  Thanks.............Great site

road-dawgs1

Best thing is to get a plug in your tourpak (or make one) for the camera battery. (Attached) For 97-08 FLT, FLHT Tour-Paks  2130-0001    $24.95
Then use the HDI headlight connector to power GPS

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Coyote

+1 for connecting to the unused HDI wiring. It's bundled with the headlamp cables and has spade sockets IIRC. Don't even have to cut the wire if you don't want to. Goes on and off with the ignition.  :up:

kev1n56

On my 01  i have my gps/mp3 player power connector and audio output hard wired behind the outer fairing. I found a constant hot wire (no need to have the bike turned on to play with the toys) and ground then just used wire ties to secure the power cord to the handlebars and the sound output to the sound input on the radio. This enables you to just remove the gps for security and have the wire permanantly available with the voice directions and mp3 music coming thru the bikes stereo system. Phone charger is the same thing........and leave the cigarette lighter for lighting cigarettes.

Yukon

Thanks guys. When you say tie in to the source behind the headlight, I assume you bring it back to the bars or are you drilling into the fairing and putting the 12v. connector there?

Coyote

Quote from: Yukon on January 11, 2009, 06:34:34 AM
Thanks guys. When you say tie in to the source behind the headlight, I assume you bring it back to the bars or are you drilling into the fairing and putting the 12v. connector there?

For my GPS, I ran mine out along side the clutch cable.